cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fraudulent posting

sullivan_shannon
Shannon S Member Since: Feb 28, 2019
1 of 8

I recently was asked to interview with a company and subsequently was "hired" however, the person that I was supposedly speaking with on behalf of this company was actually no longer with this company, I was asked to cash a check to purchase supplies needed for the job.  I was told that the payment would go outside of Upwork so I became suspicious and contacted the company directly to find that this was in fact fraudulent.  The posting is for a Social Media Manager and the company that they pretend to work on behalf of is **Edited for Community Guidelines**.  

indirajha
Indira J Member Since: Feb 28, 2019
2 of 8

https://www.upwork.com/ab/proposals/1100326298116087809

Was nice to talk with you Shannon. We got scammed. I would request Upwork to kindly remove the above link and block the person who posted it and is fooling around.

kat303
Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
3 of 8

To both of you - I highly suggest that you do some reading and research on here BEFORE you send any more proposals. This site attracts a lot of scammers who specifically look for new freelancers like you. They know new freelancers never take the time to find out about the site, the procedures, what to look out for, how to keep yourself safe and everything else. 

When you buy something that needs to be assembled do you just jump right in or do you read the directions?

Were you offered a contract on this site which you could accept or decline? If not then you were never hired. Having a client just tell you, "you're hired" means nothing. 

Taking payment offsite - scam (and could get your account suspended.

Purchasing supplies - scam

If this was done through Google Hangouts - scam

Telling you they are from XXX company - means nothing. It's a waste of your time and energy.

I NEVER look up the company. It means nothing to me because I am only concerned with getting paid after I perform a service. I don't care if they are the CEO of Microsoft. I care that:

1. Their account is verified.

2. Escrow (if fixed rate job) is FULLY funded. 

Talking together will accomplish NOTHING. READING the procedures here will. 

indirajha
Indira J Member Since: Feb 28, 2019
4 of 8

Agreed. Thank you.

sullivan_shannon
5 of 8

Thank you Kathy,

Understood maam and I appreciate the time you took to educate us.  

varpness
Mat V Member Since: May 7, 2018
6 of 8

Hey Shannon. I would go back and edit out your phone number now that you have been able to connect. You don't want your phone number just hanging around out there.

sullivan_shannon
7 of 8

Agreed and done, thank you!

aocumen
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 8

Hi Indira, and Shannon, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience on Upwork. Please know that offerring, and/or, accepting payment off Upwork is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. 

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

As a gentle reminder, please also know that we have Community Guidelines in place, and would request that users adhere to them when posting in the Community. 

~ Avery
Upwork
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS