cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

free member

siddhant09
Siddhant C Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
1 of 9

I am a free member, will I ever get hired? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

Most Upwork contractors have free memberships. Having a premium membership does not really provide any advantage in getting hired for any job.

You might have a hard time getting hired, especially when first starting out, but that has nothing to do with your membership plan.

efea3907
Krail J Member Since: Jul 19, 2016
3 of 9

I'm a new comer here and at first I was excited that I would get a job by posting my profile here. However after I found out about 'job success score', I think the chance that I'll EVER get a job through upwork is less than 1%! Why?

1. Every time someone looks for a freelancer, he'll be prompted with the filter 'job success score 80% or 90% or none." For a new freelancer, he will certainly fall into the category of 'zero job success score', which means that the chance of him ever getting into this first filter is ZERO.

2. How could a new comer get his reputation increased if in the first place he NEVER gets any chance or EXTREMELY small chance of being selected because of the above filter?

3. OK, maybe he has taken several tests related to his expertise and he passes all the tests with flying colors. And he has also posted his numerous impressive portfolio as well as a very attractive picture and interesting profile.

However as this guy falls  into the category of 'ZERO success score' where he has to compete with thousands of other candidates who also fall into this category, do you think a potential employee would waste of his precious time browsing into thousands of these 'zero success score' freelancers who HAS NO filter but very low bid???

4. Why doesn't upwork make another filter such as 'the number of related tests taken' or 'the number of portfolios posted' rather than simply 'job success score' & 'rate' which trully discriminate the new comers?

5. I've found many freelancers here who have taken numerous tests with very high score and posted quite a number of impressive portfolios, and they also bid pretty low compared to those with 80% or 90% job score success, but they never get hired.

So sad. Who knows that actually their skill is much better than those of job success score 90% holder? They simply never get any chance. They are simply discriminated by the stupid system called 'job success score'.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
4 of 9

I understand where you are coming from, Krail, but please remember a few things. EVERY person on Upwork started out exactly where you are. EVERY single person was a newbie to the site, at one stage or the other. EVERY single person understands your frustration.  EVERY single person with a high job success score struggled to get that first job.  And EVERY single person with a high job success score worked their behinds off to get it. 

boshoffirene
Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 9

To the OP> I am a free member. A paid membership does not guarantee one getting views or consideration regarding jobs on this site.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
6 of 9

Hi Krail,

I respect your opinion, but seeing that you joined Upwork yesterday I would like to ask you to give it a bit more time before you draw any definite conclusions about the Job Success Score or other aspects of the platform.

Untitled
joanwords
John B Member Since: Jul 12, 2016
7 of 9

I am pretty new here (less than 2 months) and only just paid for my membership because I felt like. I assure you that I haven't noticed any difference from when I was a free member. 

As a free member, I got hired 5 times and made about $250, I felt giving $10 for the perks available to paid members (which isn't much really, just extra connects) was a fair trade.

Krail, you can get hired, everyone started that way. Just keep sending out those proposals. Some people do not ask for freelancers with  specific job success scores, focus on applying for those jobs and gradually build your account up. You might get hired without meeting some criteria if your proposal is unique and convincing enough though.

screeler
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
8 of 9

In my opinion, none of us are 'free' members because we pay a fee for the convenience of using this platform. 

If paying for a membership got more jobs, upwork might not have to charge us fees cuz they'd be making a pile of cash just off that! or not. I'm just sayin... 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
9 of 9

Mariska, I understand that you have a different opinion, but I can assure you that I am a free member.

As a contractor, I have never provided a credit card or other payment method to Upwork. I am aware that there are fees, but those have only ever been withheld from the money that clients have paid me.

If I don't earn money, Upwork doesn't charge me anything at all. This is different from some other online work platforms, which charge contractors money even if they don't earn anything. It is an important distinction, and demonstrates that Upwork is committed to earning money by helping contractors find real work with clients. It is not based on earning money by billing contractors' credit cards to use the service.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS