🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » freelancer
Page options
onedeep
Community Member

freelancer

I'm a freelancer and I have billed a client hourly  but I was unable to complete the work due to being hospitalized but my pc was still logging hours as my relatives used it so I do not wish to charge the client. However, I already ended the contract so I can no longer delete the logged hours. What can I do?

8 REPLIES 8
jithintv
Community Member

you can/should refund the client!

If you navigate to the contract on your "All Contracts" page, and click on the "three dots" icon, you will see a "refund" option. You can refund a client whether or not a contract is open or closed.

I thought about that but didn't know if I could actually refund before the client pays anything.

re: "I thought about that but didn't know if I could actually refund before the client pays anything."

I think if you go now and try to issue a refund, then you will be able to do so. Even if the client's credit card has not yet been charged.

The timing does not really matter.

You're in a bit of a situation. You probably already know that the fact that people other than yourself were able to run the time-tracker in your name, when you were not around, puts your freelancer account in serious risk. You probably already realize that running the time-tracker while your computer shows people surfing the web or playing with Facebook or Angry Birds or whatnot... all of that puts you at risk for being reported and sanctioned.

I'm sure you want to issue a refund as soon as possible rather than wait around to get reported.

For future reference: If it is possible for somebody else to run the time-tracker on your computer... then you need to fix this situation. You should have a secured account on the computer that only you can use. And it should be impossible for anybody other than yourself to log into your Upwork account.

I'm guessing that Upwork will refund the $ to the client once they realize that OP has allowed others to use his account and record time. Sorry for your health emergency, OP, but your relatives broke the rules. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Caleb, 

I can see that you have already issued a refund to this client in good faith. As a gentle reminder, sharing your account with other users is a violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. As such, please make sure that you are the only one logging time, and working on your Upwork contracts. 

For your reference, please check this help article to know which violations cause your account to be temporarily or permanently suspended. 

~ Avery
Upwork

The original poster clearly wants to do the right thing, as indicated by his refund to the client.

By now he has probably looked at the Upwork help article about rule violations that can lead to suspension, and noticed that the number one first-listed item out of all seven bullet points was:

"account sharing... Don't allow anyone else to use your account"

Not that it matters, as the issue is settled, but I'm not sure that the OP gave his relatives access to his account. I read his post as stating that he gave them access to his PC and they may have unintentionally triggered the tracker.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths