cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** freelancers do not own headsets?

Highlighted
Natalia U Member Since: Apr 17, 2009
1 of 41
I am conducting a round of interviews for a data entry/admin support jobs. The job is hidden (private, by invitation only), it's hourly job with 20 hours per week and decent pay. I've requested a voice interview and most of the responses I get back is "I don't own a headset, can we have a chat instead?". Is this a rare request? Should I just ignore the applicants that ask for that or should I make adjustments? I had a few people decline interviews once they learned about the headset requirement. *[Removed by Admin]
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
2 of 41
Umm...of course we do. (And it's spelled ****) A good headset costs only $3 here, and most people who have their own PC or netbook have a headset as well. It's not that they don't have one; it's that they're not comfortable with voice interviews (with you or any other client). Chatting is so much easier. It's either they live with other people (noisy), or they're not confident about their spoken English skills. I've turned down job offers before when the voice interview schedule coincided with visits from my family. *[Removed by Admin]
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Elia Grace L Member Since: Jul 19, 2011
3 of 41
Agree with this. Most freelancers that live in non-native English speaking countries would have a hard time expressing themselves through spoken English. For me, I feel more confident and able to express my thoughts better through writing/chat rather than voice discussion. It's not really that we don't like talking to clients, it's just that some of us are not that comfortable speaking in English.
Highlighted
Jay Blueridge S Member Since: Jan 4, 2013
4 of 41
Well, i have headsets.. and pretty cool sound quality too Smiley Happy just like when u used to worked in a call center industry
Highlighted
Natalia U Member Since: Apr 17, 2009
5 of 41
Is a voice interview really too much to ask? I've been a client on oDesk for years, spent over 10k, had 3 long-term people employed with good weekly hours. Is it not enough to justify a seriousness of a voice job interview? I have to admit that this is the first time I am trying it, with no luck at all!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
6 of 41
As a contractor I prefer voice interview. I did have one client with an accent that was hard to understand, so we did text. Once on the job, i prefer text chat for a record of requirements, or changes in what was written previously. At times voice will still be used, but that is just to aid in the speed of an overview of what has been done so far.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
7 of 41
If this is one of your requirements it should be followed hands down. If you put it on the original job posting, then they should have never accepted the invite. You are the client and you have your procedures and it's definitely not too much to ask.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
8 of 41
[quote=Katrina Beaver]If this is one of your requirements it should be followed hands down. [/quote] I would say that if the freelancer searched for the job. But in these cases, the freelancer was invited, so would assume that they already have other qualities that the client was looking for, and maybe the headset doesn't matter so much. I've been invited to and hired for jobs where the requirements for me were different from the requirements in the posting, for example where the client was looking for someone from North America or where there was a skill in the job post that I don't have. Because whatever I did have in my profile was important enough for the client to forget about that. I would assume that if I were invited for a job the client viewed my profile and specifically wanted me, unless, of course, the invite was spam. Now, if the freelancer needs a headset to do the job, that's another story. Natalia, it is up to you not to hire the freelancer if they won't do a voice interview. I'm just explaining why they might think it's not that important.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Aleah T Member Since: Mar 25, 2010
9 of 41
[quote=Natalia U.]Is a voice interview really too much to ask? [/quote] It's not too much to ask, if it's really that important to you. I do voice calls with my clients (and with one client I had a good relationship with, even a video call), although of course I prefer chats for recording purposes. As a client myself, I feel your pain. It's not easy looking for the "perfect" contractor here and to find out that those you've shortlisted don't do voice calls can be very frustrating indeed.
Highlighted
Shafras N Member Since: Nov 2, 2013
10 of 41
I love these types of client who likes to have a voice call with contractor. That's where you both party can show how honest they are. I am new to odesk just less than a two months. My first client asked to come for a voice interview and I accept that and done well. Well, i have headsets.. and pretty cool sound quality.. branded Sony. ha... ha... I always like to hear my client's voice.... do any others like this sort of clients.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS