Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** freelancers do not own headsets?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
11 of 41
The only oDesk client I ever had that wanted a voice conversation at interview (phone call) dragged the interview stage out for three weeks, got too much information from me (my stupidity, I admit), used it for his website and didn't hire me. I do Skype calls with clients after they've hired me, but now I know better and keep interviews short and sweet.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
12 of 41
[quote=Shafras Nafais]I love these types of client who likes to have a voice call with contractor. That's where you both party can show how honest they are. I am new to odesk just less than a two months. My first client asked to come for a voice interview and I accept that and done well. Well, i have headsets.. and pretty cool sound quality.. branded Sony. ha... ha... I always like to hear my client's voice.... do any others like this sort of clients.[/quote] I'm fine with voice and chat interviews, what I don't like is video interviews, but if I really want the job then I will agree to use my cam (if it's so important for the client), but just for the interview.
Highlighted
Fiona M Member Since: Apr 19, 2011
13 of 41
If its really important to you then go for it but, as a contractor I'm not keen. First of all, my internet connection is a dial up and a bit slow so it's not great for Skype. My main reason, however, is that I've been messed around by two employers before - the first one kept me on Skype for about an hour, talking about the project and seeing if I had a "feel" for it. He then said I was ideal, hired me and never sent the work through. Another time the employer insisted on a voice interview and, because of the time zone difference, I got up at 4:00 in the morning only to find that they weren't even online - they then wanted to reschedule for the next day so, like a fool, I got up early again - they were a no show again. Personally both of these experiences were a waste of my time - If you are employing me for my written work, why won't samples and my rating suffice? Or communication by email/ Odesk? Anyhow, I guess it is up to each individual to decide whether to ask for the interview and whether or not to take up the offer on that basis.
Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 41
Sorry. I forgot one other client who wanted a Skype interview. He was a no show but contacted me a couple of weeks later to say he was traveling then hired me without using Skype.
Highlighted
Aina S Member Since: Jun 18, 2011
15 of 41
Hi MS. Natalia, I think some contractors arent comfortable with voice interview(maybe theyre not confident enough to do this) but it doesnt mean that they're not good contractors. Most of my clients, specially in data entry line, dont ask for voice interview only chat as long as they can talk to me conviniently in skype via chat theyre okay on it. Merry Christmas! Best Regards, Aina
Highlighted
Community Guru
Natacha R Member Since: Aug 2, 2010
16 of 41
[quote=Natalia U.]Should I just ignore the applicants that ask for that or should I make adjustments? [/quote] Poor English or slow internet. This is the first thing that comes to mind.
Highlighted
Ivailo A Member Since: Aug 13, 2012
17 of 41
Having a microphone is a must for a freelancer. Some prefer not to show themselves with a video chat and you should respect that but if a freelancer declines a voice chat with the excuse of not having a microphone, you should think twice before hiring.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Joseph O Member Since: Feb 4, 2009
18 of 41
I like chat interviews better than voice interviews because you can document what both of you said. It's just for reference really... When things arise that would need documentation...
Highlighted
Community Guru
19 of 41
Why is a microphone a must? If you are building a website, writing or designing graphics, who cares what you sound like?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stefan C Member Since: Nov 1, 2011
20 of 41
Because today no mic, tomorrow no keyboard, the day after no monitor.. and that`s how you end up chatting via smoke signals.. and that`s really, really bad for the environment - isn`t it obvious? (:
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS