Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** freelancers do not own headsets?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
21 of 41
Naawww. you went the wrong way... Brain sensory implants for instantaneous communication to anywhere in the Universe. Optical, vocal, touch sensations (humm, now that may be interesting), etc....
Highlighted
Marvel J Member Since: Jun 30, 2011
22 of 41
Lol! You guys are cracking me up!
Highlighted
Emily F Member Since: Dec 14, 2013
23 of 41
I simply love the subtle sarcasm in this post ... Brilliant! Smoke signals ......... I am so laughing here...this made my day, thank you!
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Maria F Member Since: Feb 1, 2010
24 of 41
They are basically starting the interview process with a lie. Should you trust them to do a good job after? When I am getting this answer in my interviews I just say "have a nice day, goodbye!"
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Julian J Member Since: Aug 5, 2008
25 of 41
In my opinion voice interviews weed out the weaker candidates and leave the strong. With a voice interview you get a better sense of the person. It's also really good to pick out the liars and the fakes. It's much easier for someone to lie through text than asking them a voice question on the spot. You'd be hard pressed to find a laptop without built without speakers and microphones made in the last 10 years. I suspect that most of the candidates that make up the "no headset" excuse are straight up lying. In my opinion, not the kind of contractor I'd want working for my company anyway. My advice is to keep on requesting voice interviews until you find the right contractor for the job.
Highlighted
Lady Jane A Member Since: Nov 5, 2013
26 of 41
I do not think that doing a voice interview can really weed out the weak candidates. As there are good speakers but poor writers. There are writers who is not as much as of a speaker but they can nail any topics you throw at them. Maybe the question really is, if the contractors are comfortable to take the voice interview. And the instances of having a not working headsets can happen to any one most especially if their headsets are not the "high quality, branded" ones i have read on the thread. =)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
27 of 41
I think Julian is talking more about weeding out scammers than getting the best possible person for the job.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
28 of 41
[quote=Julian J.]In my opinion voice interviews weed out the weaker candidates and leave the strong.[/quote] This would be true if you were contracting a salesperson.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
29 of 41
I like voice interviews because it gives me a feel for the client. I would think if someone is going to do admin work especially they would own a headset. Most admin work requires some kind of phone contact. Although I guess you could ask for their phone and call their home phone. But I think owning a headset is one of the first things I bought to work at home. It is something that is a must have for what I do as I wouldn't get very far doing Customer Service and call backs without it. I own two pairs of headsets and a headset for my kindle and a blu tooth for my smart phone so there is always a way for someone to reach me. I would be concerned if they didn't want a voice interview their english is poor or they are scammers.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
30 of 41
I agree with that entirely, but also would like to throw in that some people just aren't comfortable chatting on the phone to "strangers". They may well have taken really well to the oDesk model because it's done via a keyboard and monitor. They may be supremely good at cyber-communication and even better at doing the job they do best, but just aren't happy talking to relative strangers. It takes all kinds in this glorious cyber-world. So while it's OK to have suspicions about someone who doesn't like doing Skype, all I'm saying is that there are possibilities other than that of the person being either verbally challenged or a scam artist. Like most things on oDesk, you have to weigh up the whole big picture, and at the end of it go with your logical gut instinct....
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS