Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** freelancers do not own headsets?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
31 of 41
I agree about work that involves phone contact, and I am fine with voice or webcam communication. In fact, I'm usually the one who has their camera turned on when the other person doesn't. However, one of the things that I like about remote working is that I'm judged on my ability, not my appearance, way of speaking or mannerisms. I've worked in the brick and mortar world for many years, as an employee and as a freelancer (I still do b&m freelance work) and I have seen people who weren't particularly qualified get jobs because they were good at turning on the charm at interviews. I also know that there are people who struggle to find work because, while they are highly skilled, they just don't do well in social situations. Not everyone can successfully chat up a potential client in a pub. Unfortunately, many people in society have a perception that people who are friendly and smooth-talking are honest and competent, while people who don't always know what to say or how to say it are dishonest or incompetent. In reality, it doesn't work that way.(This is why I'm not too thrilled with the implementation of videos on oDesk profiles. I'm not looking for work as an actor or videographer, but I suppose I'll eventually do a profile video if it becomes the norm.) What I like about oDesk is that a client can look at my profile and portfolio, and if they want me, they want me, if they dont, they don't. Yes, I have my photo on my profile, because I think it helps to have one, but overall, I am hired based on my work. As I said, all of my clients here on oDesk have hired me after short interviews via oDesk messaging.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Nov 5, 2011
32 of 41
Some time back, there was a topic started by a client that they would not hire anyone who did not have a picture of them self posted in their profile. My comment to that was: "My photo, how i look has no bearing on my work ethics"
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
33 of 41
This is the only website where I have my photo instead of my art as avatar, and only because they menaced me with a ban if I didn't change it. It's temporary, I'll find my way to get it back as it should be.
Highlighted
Jill W Member Since: Mar 22, 2012
34 of 41
I'm completely confused. I've done voice interviews many times. Either it's on a physical phone or it's on skype or some other form of online video or voice chat, but in neither case have I needed a headset or a microphone other than what is already part of my computer/phone itself.
Highlighted
Community Guru
35 of 41
I have a netbook with internal camera, speaker and mike that I use for webcam chats, but I also have a desktop computer that doesn't have these.
Highlighted
Marvel J Member Since: Jun 30, 2011
36 of 41
Not all computers come fully armed. Also, some people buy used or clones so you need to get accessories to make work simple.
Highlighted
Ace Contributor
German G Member Since: Jun 16, 2013
37 of 41
As some guys said, for many of us chatting in english is way more comfortable than talking in english. I have no problem at all understanding and making myself understood in written english, but listening to someone speaking english is a lottery. Some people I do understand them well, some I don't get a single word of what they are saying. At the end I can manage to get the conversations done, but it really works much better with a chat for me.
Highlighted
Community Guru
38 of 41
Reading and writing in a foreign language can be much easier than speaking in a foreign language because you have time to read over each word at your own pace (a native speaker will naturally speak much faster than someone who learned the language as a second language) and you don't have to deal with regional accents (sometimes people omit letters or slur sounds together and don't even realise it because they've grown up hearing people speak that way). When I first moved to the UK and was looking for a job, a recruitment agency tested me on my call centre/data entry skills. I had to listen to recordings of people living in various parts of the UK and type in information (e.g. their names, what they were ordering, how much it cost). Easy, right? I found some of the accents so hard to understand that I couldn't finish the task in time, despite having a pretty fast typing speed - and English is my native language! I'm sure I would be able to handle the task now, but that's after living in the UK for eight years.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
39 of 41
I think it funny if someone wants to chat to interview me. It would seem to me even with a client if they could not spend the time to speak with me on the phone, or skype or google for a few to interview me I wouldn't want to work with them. I would think the same as the client that something was wrong. When I first started as a contractor my first interview was just chat and it was very uncomfortable for me to type out my replies and to guess what he wanted. I understand we are not working in the brick and mortar and our work should have nothing to do with appearance or how we talk, but in reality people still want to know who they are working with. It goes both ways. If someone can't find a few minutes to speak with me I am not sure I would work with them and I sure wouldn't be dishing out money to someone I couldn't speak to. Both my clients I have now we chat and speak on a regular basis, email, chat and the phone. I think some things can't be communicated through email or chat texting. I think some things take way to long to explain this way and a phone chat or Skype call really make things clear. Just my two cents worth.
Highlighted
Community Guru
40 of 41
How does talking to me rather than writing give you any more of a sense about who I am, other than telling you what my speaking voice and my accent sound like? On the other hand, you can Google my name and see pages and pages of things that I've written, which tell you not only about my writing skills but about my interests. You can see my Facebook, Google Plus, Twitter and Linked in Profiles and maybe some posts I've made on different internet forums. You can see where other people may have mentioned me. You can find out more about me by spending five minutes on the internet than you can by spending five minutes discussing your job or making small talk. Seriously, which would matter more to you, that I have a stutter or that I regularly write for a racist organisation? (Neither apply to me in real life; that was just hypothetical.) As I stated earlier, none of my clients have used voice interviews when hiring; all have been very satisifed.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS