ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No, you're fine - don't worry. 🙂

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Dalia G wrote:

client ended contract with 5 star review however he forgot to release payment 

Did you get a request to return Escrow funds?

no

Dalia G wrote:

no

You mean "No, there is no request to return Escrow funds?"

That isn't possible because it is completely impossible for a client to close a contract with funds in Escrow to do so without either releasing the funds or requesting them back.  Can't be done.

So either the client did release the milestone, or the client requested the funded milestone back, or it was an hourly contract, so there would have been nothing to release anyway.

Petra R wrote:

Dalia G wrote:

no

That isn't possible because it is completely impossible for a client to close a contract with funds in Escrow to do so without either releasing the funds or requesting them back.  Can't be done.

I can only speak for myself, but it's not impossible. For quickie fixed-price jobs, I don't bother setting up milestones, but I'll say in my proposal, "The price is X and this includes up to two rounds of minor revisions." So when I send the first draft, I'm not using the "submit for payment" option, because I'm not sure if the project is finished or not - the client is still allowed to request revisions. Most of the time, the client doesn't need any revisions, so they'll just say thanks and close the project - but since I haven't actually used the "submit for payment" thing, no payment is released. It happens.

Christine A wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Dalia G wrote:

no

I can only speak for myself, but it's not impossible. For quickie fixed-price jobs, I don't bother setting up milestones,

There is no such thing as a contract without milestones. There has to be at least one (funded) milestone.

Ending a contract with any funded money can't be done without either releasing the money or requesting the funds back.

It's technically not possible. Once funds are in Escrow they can only go back if the freelancer agrees (either by ending the contract before requesting payment or by agreeing to a return of Escrow funds request or by ignoring such a request for 7 days)

When ending a contract with funds in Escrow the client has to choose between two options; Release the payment or request the funds back. This step can not be skipped.

its an hourly contract and yes i didnt recieve any refund requests

and i should recieve about 86$

its my first hourly contract so i dont know the payement procedure

Hi Christine,

Just to confirm that Petra is correct, if a milestone is funded the contract can't be closed without sending a request for a refund. The freelancer can reject it and a dispute will be opened, or the freelancer can approve it and the funds will be returned to the client.

I would also recommend to always make sure that the agreed amount is fully funded on your milestone. To learn more how you`re protected under our fixed price payment protection, check out this Help Article.

Dalia,

On hourly contracts, your clients are billed on Monday for the hours tracked in the previous week. If you have tracked your time this week, your client will be billed next Monday. To view in what stage your funds are go to Reports > Overview. To learn more how you`re getting paid on Hourly contracts check out this Help Article.

Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Sorry, I must be confused then - I could have sworn that this had happened to me before. I'll leave the payment advice to the experts!

Dalia G wrote:

its an hourly contract and yes i didnt recieve any refund requests

and i should recieve about 86$

its my first hourly contract so i dont know the payement procedure

Did you track your time using the tracker??

Clients do not release funds for hourl contracts.

You use the tracker and then the client gets charged automatically.

yes i tracked it and an amount was calculated automatically to be paid .

Dalia G wrote:

yes i tracked it and an amount was calculated automatically to be paid .

Then you will get paid automatically according to the weekly payment schedule.

feed_my_eyes
Community Member

I'm sure it's not intentional, either. A fair number of my own clients have done the same thing - they think that if they close the contract and leave good feedback, the payment will be automatically released (a not unreasonable assumption, IMO). I'm sure he'll take care of it now that you've let him know, but if not, the payment will be released after 14 days anyway (as long as the escrow account was funded).

thanks and this wont affect my score as contract ended without payement for now?

No, you're fine - don't worry. 🙂

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths