cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

funny connect system

Highlighted
Mehedee R Member Since: Feb 10, 2011
1 of 16

In basic connect system we get 60 and in paid 70. On the other hand when we bid it needs at least 2 connects. So 30-35 bid can be done in a month. In addition Elance is going to be closed. So more job will be on upwork. This connect system is not favorable to freelancer.

I see upwork is trying to narrow our way with taking money at each step. 

Each bid should require only one connent. This system will be favorable to freelancer after couple of month when elance will be closed. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
2 of 16

If a client selects a freelancer for a job (then other freelnacer should get their connect back) or declines an application then that connect should be returned to the corresponsing freelancer. About 40% of my connects are wasted every month. I see clients not hiring or closing the jobs!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
3 of 16

"If a client selects a freelancer for a job (then other freelnacer should get their connect back)"

No. They shouldn't. The whole point of connects is to limit how many jobs you can apply for. oDesk was notorious for the number of rubbish bids every job attracted, because there was effectively no real limit on how many bids you could make in a month. If 40% of your connects are wasted you should spend time learning how to spot bad clients. I've been bidding on jobs here since May and I've never run out of connects.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Md Rahatur R Member Since: Apr 17, 2013
4 of 16

Its not about bad clients. Freelancers are increasing and for a job there are more qualified freelancers than ever.
So some good freelancer would have the connects wasted anyway.

Regarding running out of connects that does not happen every month! So this is not the case of learning!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
5 of 16

"Regarding running out of connects that does not happen every month!"

It's never happened to me on Elance. Never. Not once in nearly three years. If people are constantly running out of connects and having to buy more they are doing something wrong. Maybe they need to improve their proposals, maybe they need to work on how they choose what jobs to bid on, but the solution is not to increase the number of free connects.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
6 of 16

I'm with Fergus. But if they were going to refund connects, shouldn't it be the winning bid that gets the connects back? I appreciate freelancing is very different from gambling, but if you've stuck some cash on the nags then it's the winners that get their stake back, not the losers. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
7 of 16

re: "But if they were going to refund connects, shouldn't it be the winning bid that gets the connects back?"

I agree, and proposed this idea a long time ago...

My thinking is that if you successfully complete a job, you should get whatever connects you used to bid on that job re-supplied to your Connects quota.

That way contractors who do a lot of small, short-term jobs would not have anything to complain about with regards to the Connects quota system being unfavorable to their work style. Contractors who bid and do lots of jobs would automatically have more Connects with which to support their work pattern.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
8 of 16

That makes sense. If somebody does low value projects then they're kind of at a disadvantage with every connect costing $1 once you've done your free ones.  When I say low value, I don't necessarily mean cheap... it could be possible for somebody to provide a service at a reasonable or high hourly rate, but the job only takes a very short amount of time. 

I wouldn't have any issues with connects being refunded for those who are awarded the job... it's not like it would negatively affect the purpose for connects in the first place. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
9 of 16

Hey Scott, great analogy there. LOL

It's kind of similar if we use our imagination.

Upwork vs Gambling on football ( don't know too much about roulette and other types of games )

- you get hired = you win your bet. You don't get back the connect but you get money. You can buy more connects and repeat. 

- you don't get hired = you lose your bet.

- job is cancelled ( connects are refunded )  = the match is postponed because of weather conditions or I don't know.. Some naked dude with a chicken on his head enters the field and the referee ends the game. You lose nothing and win nothing.

Highlighted
Mehedee R Member Since: Feb 10, 2011
10 of 16

Those freelancers who deal short term project will face a big problem. Do you know per bid costs $2 as I see for each bid it needs at least 2 connects.

soon elance will be closed. What happen then! Most of the project will be on upwork. Then sure you have to spend more whatever you win the job or not. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS