Reply
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply

Re: getting paid

Active Member
Ellen K Member Since: Feb 15, 2019
1 of 7

Just signed up as a freelancer. I know client wants me to work next week. Is there more to do besides setting up profile?  Like direct deposit or will I get actual checks sent to me?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
2 of 7

Yes, there is more to do. Have you looked at all the help articles available under the question mark on your account page? It's a good idea to spend a little time learning how the site works before doing any work, so you know what to expect. And no, checks are not mailed to you.


https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#U264214


https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Tips-to-Avoid-Questionable-Jobs/td-p/240833

Moderator
Bojan S Moderator Member Since: Mar 9, 2018
BEST ANSWER
3 of 7

Hi Ellen,

 

Welcome to Upwork. Please make sure your client send you an offer and a contract is created under your ''My Jobs'' tab before you start working. Only accept to get paid through Upwork and never pay in order to be considered or hired for a job. Please review threads Virginia kindly suggested to you, in order to learn how to successfully and safely use Upwork.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please reach back to the Community and we'll gladly help you with them.

~ Bojan
Untitled
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
4 of 7

Ellen K wrote:

Just signed up as a freelancer. I know client wants me to work next week. Is there more to do beside  setting up profile?  Like direct deposit or will I get actual checks sent to me?


Clients that offer to send checks are usually fraudsters, make sure that you never agree to anything like that. You just signed up and you have a client already? That is great, but not the norm. Be sure to agree on the task, be hired, and just generally stay safe!

Active Member
Ellen K Member Since: Feb 15, 2019
5 of 7
Thanks for your reply. The only reason I'm on Upwork is because this client
said that's how they deal with freelancers - so I needed to sign up to get
the work they were offering. Yes, I know it's not the usual way things
happen.
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
6 of 7

Ellen K wrote:
Thanks for your reply. The only reason I'm on Upwork is because this client
said that's how they deal with freelancers - so I needed to sign up to get
the work they were offering. Yes, I know it's not the usual way things
happen.

Actually, in this case the client can bring you on board to work exclusively with him, which makes your approval process much easier. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

Martina P wrote:

Ellen K wrote:
Thanks for your reply. The only reason I'm on Upwork is because this client
said that's how they deal with freelancers - so I needed to sign up to get
the work they were offering. Yes, I know it's not the usual way things
happen.

Actually, in this case the client can bring you on board to work exclusively with him, which makes your approval process much easier. 


She's already approved.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS