cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

got invited then no follow up after trial work

xandzm
Xandra M Member Since: Nov 9, 2018
1 of 5
i got a job invitation, applied for it. client gave me tasks to do (made me edit 5 audio files) and then didnt hear anything from them again.
prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 5

re: "i got a job invitation, applied for it. client gave me tasks to do (made me edit 5 audio files) and then didnt hear anything from them again."

It sounds like you worked for free. For a scammer "client" who never intended to pay you no matter what you did. It wasn't "trial work." It was working for free.

Clients are not allowed to ask freelancers to work for free. It is a violation of Upwork ToS.

And you, as a freelancer, made a mistake by doing this. You don't get paid by working for free. Learn from your mistake. Put this in your past and forget about it.

The good news is that the work you did belongs to you, because you were not paid for it. You may use these files as portfolio pieces, if you want to.

xandzm
3 of 5
i didnt think of the client as a scammer because he has a verified payment.
can i report him?
martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
BEST ANSWER
4 of 5

@Xandra M wrote:
i didnt think of the client as a scammer because he has a verified payment.
can i report him?

Yes, you should have reported him earlier at the stage where you were asked to provide work for free. Of course you now know that was a mistake, and will never fall for that again.  

You can still give him the benefit of doubt and ask him to send you an offer in the amount of xy (what you would have charged for the task), accept that offer, submit for payment, and get paid. 

This is not likely to happen, though. Just because he has a verified payment method does not mean he is not a scammer. 

View solution in original post

xandzm
5 of 5
thank you so much for the help!
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS