🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » have anyone else seen a recent increase of fa...
Page options
bitsharma10p
Community Member

have anyone else seen a recent increase of fake job posting on upwork?

recently I have encountered this multiple times, same job post getiing posted from multiple countries with same amount and description, at first I applied on some of those, but later I saw a trend of same job post getting posted at a same time interval with different countries, I flagged most of them as they seem suspicious, but I think after covid there is sudden increase in that, and there is alot of fake job post getting posted everyday, most on weekends.

I think upwork should do something about it, my suggestion would be to post a second job you have to pay a minimum fee or something so you will only post if you are legitimate.

what are your thoughts??   

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I understand that upwork will not charge clients because they want job posting to be easy, but there must be a solution out there if we work on it.

I thought about it and I think this can be a solution too, after posting job at-least 3 freelancer related to that category of job must be invited,

if it is a fake job or scam those invited freelance can flag it, which will not only increase the hiring on upwork but also decrease the potential of scam or fake job post, because those invited freelancer's will become eyes and ears for upwork if something is suspicious, 

also there must be a work shop for freelancer and articles for freelancer to avoid these scams.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jr-translation
Community Member

Shobhit S wrote:

recently I have encountered this multiple times, same job post getiing posted from multiple countries with same amount and description, at first I applied on some of those, but later I saw a trend of same job post getting posted at a same time interval with different countries, I flagged most of them as they seem suspicious, but I think after covid there is sudden increase in that, and there is alot of fake job post getting posted everyday, most on weekends.

I think upwork should do something about it, my suggestion would be to post a second job you have to pay a minimum fee or something so you will only post if you are legitimate.

what are your thoughts??   

No more Covid?

I mean after covid started

Yes thats it cen you tell more about this im new in upwork how too work

Irfan M wrote:
Yes thats it cen you tell more about this im new in upwork how too work

The way your profile looks, I would be extremely surprised if it is approved. 

Irfan:

Welcome to Upwork!

Nobody here is going to tell you everything you need to know.

Please read all this before posting again in the Forum:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

prestonhunter
Community Member

re: “I think upwork should do something about it, my suggestion would be to post a second job you have to pay a minimum fee or something so you will only post if you are legitimate.”

I don’t doubt that you are seeing what you say you are seeing.

It is difficult to generalize though… other people might not see the same thing because their job niche is different.

As for solutions:

I appreciate your attempt to think of a way to fix this. But charging clients to post additional jobs seems unlikely to happen. Upwork wants to make it easy for real clients to post real jobs. Charging clients to post runs counter to that.

I understand that upwork will not charge clients because they want job posting to be easy, but there must be a solution out there if we work on it.

I thought about it and I think this can be a solution too, after posting job at-least 3 freelancer related to that category of job must be invited,

if it is a fake job or scam those invited freelance can flag it, which will not only increase the hiring on upwork but also decrease the potential of scam or fake job post, because those invited freelancer's will become eyes and ears for upwork if something is suspicious, 

also there must be a work shop for freelancer and articles for freelancer to avoid these scams.

pgiambalvo
Community Member

Shobhit S, I and others have also seen a recent increase in fake job postings on UW. Thanks for reporting your experience with them here. Everyone needs to read the ToS and help guides to know how to deal with them, and of course flag anything they find suspicious. You are not alone in wishing UW should do more to stop them than they already do.

yes I do flag them, but everyone should know that they should flag a post when they find it suspicious or anything, whenever I flag I have to choose from the given option, I flag either suspicious, or have contact info but that is not enough,

people should be aware that there is this tendency of fake job posting,

because there are alot of people who can get caught in the scam,

at lease what upwork can do is to provide more option to categorise the scam post.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members