🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: have you guys had this happen to you?
Page options
imlexyrose
Community Member

have you guys had this happen to you?

have you guys ever experienced this? i get a response to a proposal/job invitation and then i’ll ask a couple of clarifying questions and then they come back with you’re not qualified/don’t have the skills because i asked them questions about the job. or they’ll ask for a test/sample and i’ll ask if it is paid. it’s not. i’ll explain that it’s against upworks terms of service to ask for a free sample blah blah blah. they argue with me that they aren’t asking me for a free test project. i reiterate that they are. then they come back with “you don’t have the skills.” like what is up with that?

5 REPLIES 5
kinector
Community Member

I think this kind of thing happened to me once or twice about 5 years ago or something.

You'll be better off not interacting with such clients. Save your time. It doesn't sound like the client is serious about hiring you (or anyone else for that matter).

If the client is directly asking for free work, do everyone on this platform a favor and click on the 'Flag as inappropriate' button. Report them.

I have reported them to Upwork. I'm not sure if anything was/is done or not. I don't know that they're like this until they start messaging with me. If I knew before hand, I wouln't waste my time, however, there is no way for me to know before hand. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Lexy,

I'm sorry to hear about the bad experience you've had. Could you reach out to me via PM (click on my name) with more details about the clients who have asked for free work from you? Our team will investigate them further and will take proper action. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi Goran, 

I have reported them to Upwork using the Flag as inappropriate section on their job postings. I'm not sure if anything has been done about them. 

Hi Lexy,

Rest assured, our team will review your report and take proper actions as soon as possible. If you have any additional questions let me know. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths