🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » help with fraud client *edited*
Page options
ashna_writer
Community Member

help with fraud client *edited*

On 26th April I found a client named **edited for Community Guidelines** with profile, https://www.upwork.com/ab/proposals/1121814919336013825, saying that he was from website called **edited for Community Guidelines**. He asked me to write a sample article before he aprroved my candidature, I wrote a 3000 words article for which he agreed to pay $45. Even after submiting the article, with metadescription, slyly kept the article and refused to reply henceforth. I kept messaging him but he blocked me. Kindly look into the matter, allow a way so that the client pays me for my hardwork and fraud clients like this are exposed who sit sneaking at upwork, get thier work done by saying it's sample and then comfortably block the person. I am attaching the chat history that i had with the client. 

https://www.upwork.com/messages/rooms/room_9d927f585827a1d7e69fa62b03322563

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

Did you have an actual contract with that client?

As it is clear from the chat, he asked me to write 3000 words article as a
sample and he said he will pay for the demo article, it is also mentioned
in his job profile that he will pay $45. How can I get a contract if he
first wants to see a sample? I am attaching his proposal where he mentioned
clearly that he will pay $15 per 1000 words for test article.

Ashna K wrote:
 How can I get a contract if he
first wants to see a sample?

You tell such a client: "No contract = No work."

Ashna K wrote:
 I am attaching his proposal where he mentioned

It doesn't matter. You have no contract, you will not get paid. The so-called client is gone and you learned a valuable lesson.

Ashna K wrote:
As it is clear from the chat, he asked me to write 3000 words article as a
sample and he said he will pay for the demo article, it is also mentioned
in his job profile that he will pay $45. How can I get a contract if he
first wants to see a sample? I am attaching his proposal where he mentioned

It is forbidden for a client to demand free samples, you should never have agreed to it. The only thing you can do now is flag the client for demanding free work, but you will not get paid because you did not follow the rules and ask for a contract. Giving clients free work is a really bad idea, not only will you not ever get paid, it teaches clients to cheat. If all freelancers agreed to never do it, upwork would be a better place for everybody. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ashna, 

I checked your account and it doesn't look like a contract was set up with this client. We always recommend freelancers not to start working unless a contract was sent to you as an offer, you accepted it, it's showing on your My Jobs page as an active contract, and the client's payment method is verified. 

It looks like actions have already been taken against the client's account. I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork. Hopefully this will help you recognize red flags, and avoid these types of clients moving forward. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members