cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many hours a day would be adequate to work on a contract per hour?

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Amalia G Member Since: Feb 5, 2018
1 of 7

Hello, I have started a new contract per hour with a client and I like to inform me before about issues related to the protection of payment (hourly protection).

So, I read the entire page and saw that to be qualified for payment protection, I had to maintain adequate and fair activity levels.

My question is, how many hours a day would be adequate to work on a contract per hour? 8 hours per day? 10? so that an adequate work rhythm is considered ... or is there no limit?

PS: The contract has a limit of 40 hours per week.

I hope you can solve this doubt.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 7

How many hours per day are adequate to work on an hourly contract?

Amalia:

There is no set answer to your question.

This depends on what the client needs.

Some projects need an freelancer who works at her own pace and can work one or two hours per week.

Some projects need a freelancer to put in 15 hours per day or more.

The fact that a contract has a "limit of 40 hours per week" tells us nothing. That's the default setting. A client may have simply ignored the question, and may want you to work no more than 1 hour per week.

You really need to talk to the client and find out what the timeframe for their project is. Do they need something done by a certain date? Do they have no deadline at all? Some clients want work done, but can afford to pay for no more than 2 hours of a freelancer's time per week, because they are on a fixed budget. Some clients have an urgent project and an essentially unlimited budget and they'll pay you to put in as many hours as you possibly can.

It all depends on the client.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Amalia G Member Since: Feb 5, 2018
3 of 7

And what "maintain adequate and fair activity levels" means? ¿What are levels in a hourly contract? thank you

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
BEST ANSWER
4 of 7

"Adequate and fair activity level" refers to the amount of activity the time tracker records per hour. If you are working for an hour but the time tracker only recognizes a few keystrokes, this will be considered low activity. To qualify for payment protection you must use the time tracker, show a reasonable average of green bars (indicating activity) across several screen shots, and include a description of your tasks in the memo for the project. 

[93549b951e1f4032608745b61bd09ed7]_Image%202018-11-22%20at%208.04.16%20AM.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Vitaliy Z Member Since: Sep 14, 2016
5 of 7

If I'm working in testing, and making the tests on mobile devices, so I have the lowest activity (only moving the mouse for not giving the PC to sleep). But clients know about it and we have no problem with it.

Screenshot at 20-16-05.png

But I'd wanted to know, does the Upwork have a low/high limits for the activity or not? And, sometimes happens the urgent job, and I must work a lot, was one case when I worked more than 10 hours per day does Upwork have also limits for maximum hours per day for the worker.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
6 of 7

Upwork isn't interested in how many hours per day you work as a measure of "activity."

Activity in this sense means how much work are you actually doing while the TimeTracker software is tracking your time for an hourly contract.

If TimeTracker is running, the only measure used to determine whether you are "active" is the use of your keyboard and mouse.

Reading client or other documents or having telephone calls with your client can be done while TimeTracker is running, but if you don't click your mouse or use your keyboard during that session of TimeTracker that could be a problem for you if either the client or Upwork claims you weren't actually working during the time period being tracked.

If TimeTracker shows you have booked work time over the past hour and there has been no keyboard or mouse activity on your computer during that time, the client or Upwork can delete that hour from payable time. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
7 of 7

Will L wrote:

If TimeTracker shows you have booked work time over the past hour and there has been no keyboard or mouse activity on your computer during that time, the client or Upwork can delete that hour from payable time. 

Clients can not delete hours.

Hours with *NO* activity are not actually logged / appear in the work diary / get charged at all in the first place. Here we are looking at very low activity levels, not time with no activity which wouldn't even appear in the work diary at all.

Clients CAN either dispute (in which case such low activity segments are not paid) or fail to pay causing their suspension (in which case such low activity segments will not qualify for protection.)

There is no such thing as clients deleting hours.

Vitaly, Upwork does not have a problem with you working lots of hours or having low activity levels provided:

• your client pays their bill every Monday
  • your client does not dispute
  • Upwork does not consider your mouse / keyboard activity to be suspicious.

BUT - if your client disputes or their payment method fails, all those low activity hours will not be paid.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS