cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to know legit client?

dawcons
Cherey Dawn S Member Since: Jan 10, 2016
1 of 10

Someone messaged me and said I am already hired. He sent me a link to download the software that I am going to work on. It was a captacha generator type, however, it was always crashing and so I tried troubleshooting it. Then I got suspicious because when I checked my upwork account the client did not officially hire me, or there was no contract posted for me. Anyone? Could someone give me advise on this? This is supposedly my first job. I want to report the posting as inappropriate but I don't want to offend the clien either.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 10

captcha scam. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 10

Cherey, CAPTCHA Capture is a classic scam that many newbies fall for. Nothing legit about it.

Because you fell for this, it means you are not ready to evaluate jobs on your own. You need to come here to ask us about any jobs you are considering before you start working for anyone. We can help you avoid getting scammed until you have more experience.

And you need to spend time reading old Forum threads about scams.

dawcons
4 of 10

Oh thank you for this. When I realized it was a scam I immediately uninstalled the software then reported the posting as inappropriate. What could happen to me with that scam, could that lead to something serious? 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
5 of 10

Cherey, you have already done all that I think you need to do.

In theory, when you ran that desktop application on your computer it could have had access to all kinds of things on your computer. But in practice, this software is so poorly created that I don't think it actually accomplished anything while you ran it. I have not heard of any reports of anything serious happening simply by running the program, but you could change your passwords and run quality anti-spyware software such as MalWareBytes and SpyBot if you are really concerned.

View solution in original post

dawcons
6 of 10

Thank you for the kind words. I would definitely come back here from time to time to ask for guidance regarding a job offer. And I'll be more vigilant enough with this kind of cybercrime.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
7 of 10

Jennifer, Preston: do you know for a fact that captcha entry jobs as such are illegal or prohibited by Upwork? Because the Upwork User Agreement does not explicitly mention captcha. That's not to say that captcha jobs aren't scams -- they probably are -- but can they be legit in theory?

Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 10

@John K wrote:

Jennifer, Preston: do you know for a fact that captcha entry jobs as such are illegal or prohibited by Upwork?

They are.

By their very nature they violate other sites terms of service (not to mention safety and security) and are as such forbidden under the "jobs that violate another site's terms of service" (or whatever it is called) clause, along with ad posting on Craigslist, writing fake reviews etc etc etc.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 10

Petra, is this the clause you had in mind?

Upwork has the right, but not the obligation, to suspend or revoke your access to the Site and Site Services if we believe that you have violated or acted inconsistently with the letter or spirit of this Agreement or the Terms of Service or violated our rights or those of another party. Without limiting Upwork’s other rights or remedies, we may suspend or close your Account, use self-help in connection with our rights to reclaim funds, and refuse to provide any further access to the Site or the Services to you if (a) you breach any terms and conditions of this Agreement or other Terms of Service; (b) we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us; or (c) we believe that your actions may cause legal liability for you, other Users, or Upwork.

Anyway, Vladimir confirmed what you wrote, so I will dutifully report every captcha entry job I see.

Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Cherey,

Thanks for reporting this job. Going forward, please make sure you do not start working until you have an active contract, which would show in your "My Jobs" tab.

Let me also share a few other resources that you may need as a new freelancer on Upwork. You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center.

I also advise watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread

Hi John, I can confirm captcha entry jobs are not permitted on the platform and do ask users to report or flag them.

Untitled
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS