🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » how to take payment from client? I am new in ...
Page options
fc876a7c
Community Member

how to take payment from client? I am new in this. we chatted and he said he hired me

Hi all, I got a client, he said I am hired.

But how to take the payment. what is the process?

I am new in this. we chatted and he said he hired me

Please help me

25 REPLIES 25
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Arpit,

I would like to clarify that you`re not hired on an official contract at the moment. Your client will need to send you an offer and you will be able to accept it. Once this is done, an official contract will be formed. Your client job post is an hourly job, on hourly jobs all you need to do is to track your time with our Desktop app. Your clients will be billed every Monday for the time worked in the previous week.

When you`re hired on a fixed price contract, you will see a green button inside your contract room where you can submit the finished work and request the payment. 
To learn more about getting started on Upwork and how to protect yourself, check out our resources Here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

What should I do now?
What should I tell my client to do now?
petra_r
Community Member

Arpit D wrote:
What should I do now?
What should I tell my client to do now?

Tell the client to hire you.

All they have to do is to click the HIRE button on your profile,

Do not do ANY work until you have received, reviewed and accepted the contract offer. Make sure the milestone is fully funded before you accept the contract if it is a fixed rate contract. Use the desktop app to track your hours if it is an hurly contract.

fc876a7c
Community Member

I bid for 25 dollars per hour to my client. He gave me offer but he is
paying me 15 dollar per hour.
What should I do now?

If I ask him to increase, then he can reject my offer also. What should I
do?

And how do I get payments from Upwork? Like do I get immediate payment
after the 1 hour work?

Please answer my queries asap.

Arpit D wrote:
What should I do now?

do?

You have to make that decision for yourself. No one can make it for you. You can either accept the offer as is or ask the client to change it to the amount you bid. And, yes, they may refuse, in which case you have to decide whether to accept it or reject it.

As to when you get paid, no, there's a weekly payment cycle. I suggest you read this thread for information on how Upwork works before you proceed much farther: https://community.Upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Getting-Started-on-Upwork/m-p/264214#M2460

can I accept the offer and later tell him to increase the money?

Arpit D wrote:

can I accept the offer and later tell him to increase the money?

Sure you can do that. But prepare for very bad feedback. 

(How would you feel if somebody told you he will fix your backyard for 100, accepts the job, and then asks for 500?)

client on upwork offered me less than my bid.
He offered me the work, I bid for 25 dollars per hour but he offered me 15 dollars per hour.

What should I do now? Should I accept it or compromise it.

This is my first work which I got as a freelancer, I don't want to loose it.
Can someone help me please

Hi Arpit!

UpWork is a global market, and in global markets, salaries and contracts are open to negotiation.

It is up to you what you will choose to do.

You can either accept the $15 per hour or not.

You could even try to upsell your skills. Kindly explain to the client that $15 is not enough for the amount of work you need to put into the project. And that you cannot work lower than $25 per hour.

The decision falls on your shoulders!

That said, if this is your first job as a freelancer, as you mention in your post, you know what to do.

Accept it!

Everyone starts from somewhere, after all.

Good luck!

Konstantinos A wrote:

Hi Arpit!

UpWork is a global market, and in global markets, salaries and contracts are open to negotiation.

It is up to you what you will choose to do.

You can either accept the $15 per hour or not.

You could even try to upsell your skills. Kindly explain to the client that $15 is not enough for the amount of work you need to put into the project. And that you cannot work lower than $25 per hour.

The decision falls on your shoulders!

That said, if this is your first job as a freelancer, as you mention in your post, you know what to do.

Accept it!

Everyone starts from somewhere, after all.

Good luck!

Not great advice in this case, as OP has mentioned in other posts that this client tried to get him to work for free at first, then offered a contract at 15 instead of the agreed upon 25. My bet is that he accepts this one, a bad feedback is almost guaranteed. 

Had no idea about OP's previous posts. 

But even in that case, if the client funded him $15 per hour, why not accept it?

It's not like he has many choices right now. 

Konstantinos A wrote:

Had no idea about OP's previous posts. 

But even in that case, if the client funded him $15 per hour, why not accept it?

It's not like he has many choices right now. 

If you eliminate the choice to refuse to work for a scammer, or the choice to seek work elsewhere than Upwork, that may be true. But why eliminate those choices?

"Getting started" is one thing. Getting started on the wrong foot, or hanging a giant "kick me" sign on one's profile, is quite something else.

Thanks, I like your answer

I accepted the offer

Arpit D wrote:

Thanks, I like your answer

I accepted the offer

You must keep us updated how this goes!

Arpit D wrote:

He offered me the work, I bid for 25 dollars per hour but he offered me 15 dollars per hour.

What should I do now? Should I accept it or compromise it.

This is my first work which I got as a freelancer, I don't want to loose it.
Can someone help me please

Please don't spam the forum with the same questions. 

petra_r
Community Member

Arpit D wrote:

Your profile rate, set by you yourself, is $15. 

Arpit D wrote:
What should I do now?

do?

And how do I get payments from Upwork? Like do I get immediate payment
after the 1 hour work?

Please answer my queries asap.

Don't work for this client. First he tries to take advantage of your inexperience, then he tries to hire you for a lower rate than agreed. All this screams very loudly: not worth the trouble. 

petra_r
Community Member

Arpit D wrote:

Your profile rate, which you set yourself, is $15 an hour.

Why would a client pay $25 when you say your hourly rate is $15?

Arpit D wrote:
And how do I get payments from Upwork?

You really need to spend some time finding out how Upwork works before you apply to any more contracts....

Petra R wrote:

Arpit D wrote:

Arpit D wrote:

You really need to spend some time finding out how Upwork works before you apply to any more contracts....

Oh nooo he didn't.... Arpit, why are you doing this? When your hourly rate is 15, and you ask for 25, of course this client will feel that you are trying to take advantage of him! Don't do that!

Change your hourly rate to 25 if you want 25. ALWAYS work for the hourly rate on your profile, not more, not less. 

Martina P wrote:

Petra R wrote:

Arpit D wrote:

Arpit D wrote:

Oh nooo he didn't.... Arpit, why are you doing this? When your hourly rate is 15, and you ask for 25, of course this client will feel that you are trying to take advantage of him! Don't do that!

Change your hourly rate to 25 if you want 25. ALWAYS work for the hourly rate on your profile, not more, not less. 

LOL !, he has taken your advice.

fc876a7c
Community Member

"the milestone is fully funded"

What does this mean?

Arpit D wrote:

What does this mean?

It means that you go back and do your homework and research how this works before you accept any contract. Don't abuse the forum. All this information is easily available for anybody who cares to look. 

It means that the client has already pre-paid you for the work you're about to do.

Arpit D wrote:

What does this mean?

Wait a second - are you seeing this on the same contract you bid $25 / hour on and the client offered $15?

That message means its a fixed-priced contract, meaning if they put $15, that's all you're getting, not $15 / hour.

You really, really need to take some time to understand how Upwork works before you do anything else.

Wes C wrote:

Arpit D wrote:

What does this mean?

Wait a second - are you seeing this on the same contract you bid $25 / hour on and the client offered $15?

That message means its a fixed-priced contract, meaning if they put $15, that's all you're getting, not $15 / hour.

You really, really need to take some time to understand how Upwork works before you do anything else.

The way I read it, this happened:

1. A. sends a proposal with an hourly rate of 25. At this time his hourly rate is 15. 

2. Client sends offer for 15.

3. But A wants 25. 

4. I tell him to never work for anything else than his hourly rate.

5. A. changes his hourly rate to 25. 

6. A. tells us he accepted the job. 

7. Following this saga will provide more entertainment. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members