🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » how to work with a thirth party outside Upwor...
Page options
alehalabi
Community Member

how to work with a thirth party outside Upwork?

Hi team, I need your advice once again.
I'm a cosmetic chemist and I deliver paper-formulas to my clients. Most of them require samples that I can't deliver because of customs restrictions in my country, or advice regarding a manufacturer. I have contacted a manufacturer lab in the USA that can do that part (samples, tests, and manufacture of products), but it's outside Upwork. My question is how to deal with this because it is not my intention to violate ToS but sometimes I must refer to this lab and give the contact information, and when I do that it seems I'm trying to contact outside Upwork platform. Any suggestions? 
Thanks! Alejandra

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
florydev
Community Member

Alejandra H wrote:

I'm a cosmetic chemist and I deliver paper-formulas to my clients. Most of them require samples that I can't deliver because of customs restrictions in my country, or advice regarding a manufacturer. I have contacted a manufacturer lab in the USA that can do that part (samples, tests, and manufacture of products), but it's outside Upwork. My question is how to deal with this because it is not my intention to violate ToS but sometimes I must refer to this lab and give the contact information, and when I do that it seems I'm trying to contact outside Upwork platform. Any suggestions? 
Thanks! Alejandra

I agree with Preston I am not sure what TOS item you are concerned with.  On June 26th there is a new TOS that will become in force which requires communication to stay on platform until there is a contract.  After a contract Upwork is fine with you communicating however you wish.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
prestonhunter
Community Member

Alejandra:
I think you are worrying about things that you don't need to worry about.

If you are freelancer working for Upwork clients, Upwork places no restrictions on how you deliver your work, and Upwork places no restrictions on who you communicate with, or how you communicate with them.

There are no Upwork ToS issues involved in the scenario you describe.

florydev
Community Member

Alejandra H wrote:

Thanks! Alejandra

I agree with Preston I am not sure what TOS item you are concerned with.  On June 26th there is a new TOS that will become in force which requires communication to stay on platform until there is a contract.  After a contract Upwork is fine with you communicating however you wish.

Ok! Thanks Mark and Preston. Yes, that was my confusion, the new TOS, I thought I can never communicate outside Upwork as this notification appears every time a send an e-mail address: "Taking your conversations outside of Upwork?", should I just ignore it then?

Alejandra H wrote:

"Taking your conversations outside of Upwork?", should I just ignore it then?

Once you are hired, yes!

Alejandra H wrote:

Ok! Thanks Mark and Preston. Yes, that was my confusion, the new TOS, I thought I can never communicate outside Upwork as this notification appears every time a send an e-mail address: "Taking your conversations outside of Upwork?", should I just ignore it then?

For the next 11 days (give or take) you should ignore it.  On the 26th, giving them a way to contact you outside of upwork is a TOS violation until you have a contract.

I personally think that it is going to be a disaster of epic proportions and hope they quickly repeal this stupid decision.  

So if someone proposes me to communicate outside Upwork (zoom, skype, etc) before a contract (which is very common especially with people new to the platform) I have to reject it and tell them to talk in Upwork. That's right? I always do that, but sometimes it's impossible to communicate with the Upwork service.

If we make a good faith effort to use Upwork's communication systems and risk losing business with a new client because those systems aren't working properly, I wouldn't think twice about violating the new rule that all pre-contract communications with clients must go through the Upwork system.

That is in my best interest, as it is also for Upwork. No new client contracts = no revenue for Upwork.

Which means Upwork needs to up its game with all of its systems to 100% reliability and usability.

Will is correct about what is in Upwork's best interest.

It is not Upwork's intention to prevent freelancers from communicating with clients.

It is Upwork's intention to prevent users from using the platform in ways that the platform is not intended to be used, such as meeting on the platform and then establishing working relationships without paying through Upwork.

Upwork WANTS clients to find freelancers, discuss their projects a bit to make sure the client/freelancer pairing is a good fit, and then start using Upwork for clients to pay freelancers to work. This is the PURPOSE of their site. And Upwork has explicitly stated - repeatedly - that they don't want to limit the tools or methods that contracted freelancers and clients use for communication while working together.

Now I get the idea! and it is very helpful to know so I can work with more freedom. Thank you both!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members