🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: i need to report somone
Page options
oisinmoore
Community Member

i need to report somone

Hello,
I offered to create a website as a full stack web developer and I got that job but when i researched what a full stack web developer is i found out i wasn't qualified i told him i wasn't but he went on to direct me to skype there he tried to get me to create an account for him and he said he would run it via teamviewer. I assumed he would take control of my computer and hold it ransom or he could have scammed other people and i would get the blame on me and his profile picture looked like it was from google images i have pictures of the conversation on skype
thanks

19 REPLIES 19
prestonhunter
Community Member

Oisin:

Thank you for reporting this.

There are two separate issues here.

One, you accepted a job offer to do something that you actually don't know how to do. You made a mistake. In the future, I'm sure you will not make that same mistake again. Had this been a real client, he would have been justified in giving you negative feedback and calling you out for what you did.

The other issue is that this wasn't a real client at all. It was just a coincidence that you happened to sign on to do something you don't actually know how to do. I don't think the "client" cared about that.

It appears that this wasn't really a client, but a scammer trying to run a scheme using your Upwork account and your computer.

It IS GOOD that you are reporting this here in the Forum. If you have not already done so, please use the "Flag as inappropriate" link/button in the top-right corner of the Job Posting page to report this incident.

Upwork does NOT want any people like this on the site, and you are helping whole community by reporting.

i cant see the Flag as inappropriate button

You can see that button/link on every Job Posting page.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 1.21.22 PM.png

already submitted a proposal

re: "already submitted a proposal"

But you should still have a link on the submission page that takes you back to the original job posting page.

Screen Shot 2019-03-03 at 1.29.21 PM.png

Click on "View Job Posting"

lysis10
Community Member

How to get a job on Upwork.

Step 1. Apply for full stack dev jobs.

Step 2. Get job.

Step 3. Google "what is a full stack developer."

crayhernandez
Community Member

Hi Oisin, 

Thank you for reporting this. We will investigate on the matter and take proper action.

You may wish to read these articles to so you can work safely moving forward.

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Protecting Against Malware

Job Warning Signs

Trust & Safety FAQ

Resources to Help Keep Your Information Safe

Thanks!

i have the conversation on skype will i send it

Moderator Mary,

Thank you for weighing in and thanks for your future efforts to reduce scamming.

This is just sad on so many levels.Upwork allows people to offer services without the freelancer being able to define the services s/he is offering. People join UW and commit in writing to do things they cannot do. Others join UW and intend only to scam. Ultimately, the only thing UW has to sell is its reputation. Some freelancers depend on UW for their living, some businesses rely on UW to fill urgent needs. Shareholders rely on UW to maintain its value.

SBA has a so-so program called SCORE, Service Corps of Retired Executives, through which volunteers offer free consulting to new businesses. It's a mixed bag. Is there any way UW migtht have a similar program for new freelancers, using volunteer veteran freelancers to mentor new entrants? I suppose that's what the community does, but too often it acts like an Emergency Room, seeing freelancers only after somone's been hurt, instead of a community health clinic offering vaccinations and health brochures.

There are several freelancers who understand the mechanics of UW at least as well as most UW employees. That's not what I'm addressing. A veteran developer would tell the OP not to offer anything that s/he wasn't 100% certain of being able to deliver. Coming from UW, that advice will be read as more pablum. Coming from a veteran, the newbie might listen. Maybe I'm wasting my time here, as well as that of those who stop and read this post.

yes I should do my reserch before I submit one i will remember that for next time

thanks

Still waiting for the client to start a thread on how to report a fraudulent freelancer.... oh wait! Client was a fraud too. Karma at its best!

Bill H wrote:

Moderator Mary,

Thank you for weighing in and thanks for your future efforts to reduce scamming.

This is just sad on so many levels.Upwork allows people to offer services without the freelancer being able to define the services s/he is offering. People join UW and commit in writing to do things they cannot do. Others join UW and intend only to scam. Ultimately, the only thing UW has to sell is its reputation. Some freelancers depend on UW for their living, some businesses rely on UW to fill urgent needs. Shareholders rely on UW to maintain its value.

SBA has a so-so program called SCORE, Service Corps of Retired Executives, through which volunteers offer free consulting to new businesses. It's a mixed bag. Is there any way UW migtht have a similar program for new freelancers, using volunteer veteran freelancers to mentor new entrants? I suppose that's what the community does, but too often it acts like an Emergency Room, seeing freelancers only after somone's been hurt, instead of a community health clinic offering vaccinations and health brochures.

There are several freelancers who understand the mechanics of UW at least as well as most UW employees. That's not what I'm addressing. A veteran developer would tell the OP not to offer anything that s/he wasn't 100% certain of being able to deliver. Coming from UW, that advice will be read as more pablum. Coming from a veteran, the newbie might listen. Maybe I'm wasting my time here, as well as that of those who stop and read this post.

It might also have the opposite effect and the newbie thinks the veteran does not want him to be successful and compete for future clients.

@crayhernandez wrote:

Hi Oisin, 

Thank you for reporting this. We will investigate on the matter and take proper action.

You may wish to read these articles to so you can work safely moving forward.

Tips to Avoid Questionable Jobs

Protecting Against Malware

Job Warning Signs

Trust & Safety FAQ

Resources to Help Keep Your Information Safe

Thanks!

These suggestions are getting tiring. Why can't Upwork insist that a new profile read about the scams before their profile is approved ... pass a simple text to prove they read it ... or something, anything so this doesn't keep happening. You can give them all the links Upwork provides, but most won't bother reading any of it.  And how does a profile photo like the OP's even get accepted?

Maybe someone who knows can explain to me just what the "Upwork readiness test" entails, because it sure doesn't seem to make anyone "ready".

ETA: Or what Bill said.

kat303
Community Member

These suggestions are getting tiring. Why can't Upwork insist that a new profile read about the scams before their profile is approved ... pass a simple text to prove they read it ... or something, anything so this doesn't keep happening. You can give them all the links Upwork provides, but most won't bother reading any of it.  And how does a profile photo like the OP's even get accepted?

Maybe someone who knows can explain to me just what the "Upwork readiness test" entails, because it sure doesn't seem to make anyone "ready".

While different types of readyness tests and/or some type of required scam alert readings be impliminted on this site, are discussed here, I think it all comes down to the OP. Although it turned out the client was a scammer, a lot of this discussion should concerning what the OP did. 

It doesn't take readyness tests, or required scam information readings, to know that freelancers shouldn't or I should say, Don't send proposals to jobs that they have no idea what they are doing, don't have the experience or skills for and have to look up what XXX (in this case a stack developer) is and does. 

This happened to be a scam client. I have no idea what the OP wrote in his proposal, but  what if this were a real client and whatever the OP wrote or did, caused the client to hire him? What the OP did was totally wrong. 

In addition to that, no one can tell who the OP is from the picture here. 

mtngigi
Community Member

I know that, Kathy. And I agree with you. But my response was more aimed at the mod's suggestions/links. Which of course have nothing to do with the mistakes the OP made.

The two topics simply are not related.

I think any suggestion that there is a connection is conjencture.

The moderator was not obligated to mention the first topic. The original poster had already been admonished about it.

Actually I said I couldn’t do it he invited me to Skype and told me to create an account
Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths