cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ideal cover letter

mofijur01
Active

Hi,

I need a strong knowledge about an ideal cover latter for any job post of Upwork (Data Entry, SEO, Web Design and Development).

21 REPLIES 21
m84champloo
Community Leader

Sure, there you go:

Hi there,

I'm Md Hafijur R and I'm a strong expert in any job posted on Upwork, be it Data Entry, SEO, Web Design or Development, so you can count on my skillz. Hire me and let's roll!

Regards

Md Hafijur:

As a client, if I sense... even for a second... that any of your cover letter was used for any other client or project, then I won't hire you.

Every word you send me should be about ME and my project. If I want to read about you, I can click on your name in the client-side listing of proposals, and I can then read your profile.

Please do not talk about yourself in your cover letter. Please don't use a cover letter template.

lysis10
Community Guru

Yo dawg I heard you like keywords so I puts some keywords in your keywords so your SEO can SEO.

tlsanders
Community Guru

Geesh.

Everybody quit picking on the new kid.

OP, you might do better to narrow your focus. Offering too many different services can make it appear that you're just desperate for work and not particularly expert at any of them.

There's no one cover letter that's effective, because an effective cover letter is responsive to the posting. It will be different every time. Generally, you want to be concise, respond to the specifics of the post, and talk about your own background/skills only in the context of the project and how they will enable you to do a great job with the project.

Tiffany's word "concise" is a great tip for cover letters.

If you send a long template cover letter, it is annoying.

If you write a long totally original cover letter, you're probably wasting your time.

I have hired dozens of contractors for many kinds of jobs.

I rarely read anybody's cover letters.

If they were long, I almost certainly didn't read them.

If they were short, then maybe I read them.

Cover letters are VERY IMPORTANT because many clients WILL read them and will judge you by them.

But I bet MOST clients like CONCISE cover letters that get to the point and demonstrate an understanding of their project.

@Preston H wrote:

I rarely read anybody's cover letters.

Cover letters are VERY IMPORTANT because many clients WILL read them and will judge you by them.

Hmm... I still wonder what's the point of cover letter (here on Up) if on applicants list overview you see exactly first 1.8 rows of each applicants' cover letter; until you open it, naturally.

What do you look at instead?  Their portfolio?

Yes, portfolio is very important when I hire. Pretty much the only thing I look at when I hire artists.

Also: job history.

Sometimes I just hire the first person to apply, if I want to work with someone immediately.

Can you send me example of cover letters which you like? I think it will be help many New Freelancers. so that they can read clients mind.

just send any 1 example of cover letter.

@Kamalpreet S wrote:

Can you send me example of cover letters which you like? I think it will be help many New Freelancers. so that they can read clients mind.

just send any 1 example of cover letter.

Here you go here is one of my recent ones. You can use it.

ahem...

Hi buddy your budget is way too low for me to do this.

Agreed. I get the feeling that there is an overrepresentation of ESL first timers posting with typos/broken English because those who are fluent in English would find it much easier to spot the overall attitude and tone towards noobs/mistakes in the forums.

lomen_jan
Community Guru

It goes, like this:

Greeting

Introduction (2 to 3 senteces)

Expertise (2 sentences)

Portfolio link

Motivation (1 or 2 sentences)

Regards and signature.

But again, it is a lottery. Use KISS rule (Keep It Short, Stupid) and try to write it from scratch every time to display <ourself because you are pitching you and your abilities. Some people like it lenghty because it shows motivation (or perhaps it flatters them receiving personal long read). Some like it short because time is money. You actually never know so follow your guts. 

I really wish to bump on Preston's job to I can experience that magic that he is selling. 

@Jan L wrote:

It goes, like this:

Greeting

Introduction (2 to 3 senteces)

Expertise (2 sentences)

Portfolio link

Motivation (1 or 2 sentences)

Regards and signature.

That's more like profile overview than applicable cover letter.

@Matija M wrote:

That's more like profile overview than applicable cover letter.

Well, that is true (sans motivation), while on profile you sell yourself, too. 

Motivation is a climax of your cover letter and Introduction and Expertise are the set up for it. There you can be specific about the job post etc... 

But, hey, thank you for noticing the pattern that could help others to write profile overviews. 

@Jan L wrote:

But again, it is a lottery.

It is absolutely not a lottery.

@Tiffany S wrote:

Why are you so certain that every single client will open and review every single applicant?

re: "Why are you so certain that every single client will open and review every single applicant?"

I don't think that's what Tiffany was suggesting when she said it's NOT a lottery.

But, oh my goodness no, I'm certain that every client does NOT open and review every single applicant!

I certainly never have reviewed every applicant. There are some that I delete from my active list within seconds of seeing their listing. If I see an artist without a portfolio, they're toast. No time for that.

And it should be no surprise to anybody that I can't stand laundry list contractors. If you're awesome at everything, then I have no use for you. (And I don't believe you.)

Lots of un-opened applicants.

But don't get me wrong: you still need to write an awesome cover letter every time.

@Preston H wrote:

Lots of un-opened applicants.

So it's not a lottery but a game of chance. It's not black but #000000.

When a customer writes up a nice RFP with clear ideas of what they want, your cover letter goes something like - This would be great because <specific reason why you'd like to do this job>. I've already thought up some ideas. One is <specific idea of how you would do this job.> I'm experienced - see my quals if you like <maybe link>. I'm available. I can do this <how> quickly. Looking forward to working with you.

When the customer sends you an invite that says something like - need a freelancer for a variety of overflow work, then it becomes a lottery. And your cover is more like - I gots quals, I gots a portfolio. You invited me. So hire me already, maybe.

@Tiffany S wrote:

Pardon my poetic liberty. Until I don't get to know potential client better it is sort of lottery, It is not uncommon that stellar freelancer get rejected because client "preferred other applicants" (Which is "It's not you, it's me" of proposal rejections).  Writing good cover letter helps but is not a guarantee. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS