🐈 Community
r_uldashov
Member

insults

the client left a review, he insults me in a short way calling me crazy, contacting customer support, they said that in order to delete a review you need to have a high rating. They turn a blind eye to insults. What to do?

18 REPLIES 18
prestonhunter
Member

re: "The client left a review"

Yes.

Your first client left a review. I read the review.

I believe the SHORT review that he left (31 words) ACCURATELY reflected his feelings about the contract.

 

re: "he insults me in a short way calling me crazy"

Maybe there is a bit of a language barrier here. You should not have been so upset about this. Calling somebody "crazy" in this context was meant by the client to describe how he felt about your actions, which he felt were "out of line" in a professional, working situation. The client was not trying to diagnose you in a psychological sense or state that you have a clinically identifiable mental disorder.

 

re: "...contacting customer support, they said that in order to delete a review you need to have a high rating."

 

Upwork Customer Support gave you accurate information. They are not the "Feedback Police."

 

They were referring to the fact that they can't simply delete or omit Client feedback because you complain about it, or because you feel that you were insulted.

 

re: "They turn a blind eye to insults."

 

It is not permissible for Customer Support to delete client feedback simply because you complain about it. Even if you feel like you were isulted. The client's feedback in this situation does not violate Upwork ToS. The client - in fact - was acting bravely and honestly by identifying problematic behavior that he encountered during his interaction with a freelancer.

 

re: "What to do?"

You did the wrong thing when you tried to eliminate the client's feedback or explain it away or fight it.

The correct thing to do would have been to embrace it.

You should have loved this feedback, not hated this feedback.

That is the path to success.

 

In response to the feedback you received, you posted 532 words of correspondence between yourself and the client.

 

Many clients may look upon such a response unfavorably.

 

A better response would have been either:

a) no response at all

[or]

b) "I can see that the client was unhappy about some things I did during my first-even Upwork contract. I am taking this feedback to heart and I will not make those same mistakes again."

re: "What to do?"

 

What to do now?

 

Study the client's feedback over and over again. Think about what you can do differently in order to avoid eliciting that type of feedback in the future.

 

Work hard to find jobs that are appropriate for your skills, bid on jobs. Don't mention that past contract. If any client asks about it, just tell them you made a mistake and you're working hard to do better, and you know you can help them with their project.

 

Remember:

Your profile page is where you market yourself.

It DOES NOT MATTER WHO WAS RIGHT OR WRONG in that past contract.

Your goal should not be to set the record straight about who was right or wrong. Your goal should be to present yourself in a way that makes clients likely to hire you and pay you money.

You take the client’s side, not considering that he may be wrong! In other words, you say nothing terrible when one person insults another! I do not think so!


Rustam U wrote:

You take the client’s side, not considering that he may be wrong! In other words, you say nothing terrible when one person insults another! I do not think so!


Hm? You're the one who insulted her, and then posted proof of you doing so as the response to her feedback, just to make sure that any future client is warned off to never, ever, under any circumstances, hire you.

 


Rustam U wrote:

Thank you for your opinion, it is not important for me to work at Upwork


Just as well, as you made sure that most clients will run screaming the other way after seeing that response.

 


And the fact that you think you need to endure insults is your personal problem!

I don't have to "endure insults." - I've never had a client insult me in 250 contracts.

Of course I don't rage at mine the way you did. I also don't call my clients "boor" and other insults the way you do.

How did I insult her, call her crazy? I wonder that for the sake of money you are ready to endure anything?


Rustam U wrote:

How did I insult her?


You have got to be KIDDING!

 


Rustam U wrote:

 I wonder that for the sake of money you are ready to endure anything?


I don't have to "endure insults." - I've never had a client insult me in 250 contracts.

Of course I don't rage at mine the way you did. I also don't call my clients "boor" and other insults the way you do.

 

Your response to the client's feedback is likely profile-suicide. You might as well write "DO NOT HIRE ME" 500 times as your profile overview.

 

The way you were speaking to that client would indicate you don't really have the right atitude to make it as a freelancer. Any future potential client will read that exchange and run, screaming, the other way.

 

The really ironic part is that the "response to feedback" won't even show on the client's profile at all, only on yours.

 

Reading that exchange between you and the client I think the client's feedback was spot-on.

It is not an insult if it is true.

 

Thank you for your opinion, it is not important for me to work at Upwork as a self-esteem. And the fact that you think you need to endure insults is your personal problem!

You will read the same responses to your post over and over again.  Get the hint!  You are in the wrong.  No need for insults - ever!  You are lucky this client hired you and should be humble.  

 

This doesn't seem like a good platform for you.  Not everything is a one-size-fits-all situation. 

I think the other responses you received were right. What you want to do is make that low review disappear into a slew of great reviews for your work. Instead, you respond in a way that actually shows you were rude and unprofessional toward your client. You may not have intended to, but your response supports your clients review.
florydev
Member

I’m not sure if there is a TOS violation in what you did but if I were Upwork I would look for one very hard and suspend your account. What you did reflects not only badly on yourself but on Upwork in general. **Edited for Community Guidelines**

I don't understand why you accepted such a low-paying job and then complained to your client that it wasn't enough money to make a living. It's up to the freelancer to negotiate the terms of a contract before accepting it.

lysis10
Member

lmao this is awesome. I love it when ESL-cels rage at each other in English. It's the best thing ever. Thank you for your service, OP.


Jennifer M wrote:

lmao this is awesome. I love it when ESL-cels rage at each other in English. It's the best thing ever. Thank you for your service, OP.


Even funnier that he calls her a "he" - even though they are in the same country and it's a common name ther.

I wonder what's up with that?


Petra R wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

lmao this is awesome. I love it when ESL-cels rage at each other in English. It's the best thing ever. Thank you for your service, OP.


Even funnier that he calls her a "he" - even though they are in the same country and it's a common name ther.

I wonder what's up with that?


lol I missed that. I am LOLing at blowing up over being called a 'boor' though.

Late to the party again. Looks like I missed all the fun. The OP's profile is no longer available. Judging from the responses the OP either deleted his account or Upwork suspended him. 


Kathy T wrote:

Late to the party again. Looks like I missed all the fun. The OP's profile is no longer available. Judging from the responses the OP either deleted his account or Upwork suspended him. It's 


 It's interesting how often both clients and freelancers behave badly, seem to be getting away with it, and then send up a flag in the forums that ensures they get caught and suspended.

It feels like you're gloating

Learning Paths