🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » interview question
Page options
52feb1b1
Community Member

interview question

I am a solo psychology practice. I attempted to ask a prospective biller about specific billing codes in order to test their knowledge during a verbal interview ( These are codes which someone familiar with mental health billing should be able to recite in their sleep), and they said that it was again Upwork policy. Can someone explain how this is logical?

Michael Lax, PSY.D

3 REPLIES 3
mtngigi
Community Member

Michael L wrote:

I am a solo psychology practice. I attempted to ask a prospective biller about specific billing codes in order to test their knowledge during a verbal interview ( These are codes which someone familiar with mental health billing should be able to recite in their sleep), and they said that it was again Upwork policy. Can someone explain how this is logical?

Michael Lax, PSY.D

Well, it is against TOS for clients to ask for free work. A small paid test would be the best way to determine a freelancer's skill level. But I'll flag your post in hopes a mod will come along to help you out.

abinadab-agbo
Community Member

The ToS do indeed prohibit free work.

You may want to read up on that part of the ToS again.

Now, if you are not sufficiently convinced the freelancer is qualified for your project, you should proceed to interview someone else.

But, you should know that most freelancers are not amenable to being interrogated extensively before a contract is offered.

It's different for full-time permanent jobs like Supreme Court Judge, where you must endure days and days of grilling.

This is freelancing; you can hire and fire anytime. If in doubt, hire them to find out, for a set of tasks requiring lower committment

LuiggiR

Hi Michael,

Following up on what Virginia and Abinadab mentioned, it is against Upwork's TOS for clients to ask for free work. Going by what you pointed out, if the test/sample provided by the freelancer is not in direct relation to the project itself, it is not considered a violation. However, if you are looking to gauge the skill level of a freelancer through samples specifically related to the project, I suggest you set up a Fixed Price contract to proceed with a small test project.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members