🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: interview
Page options
kms3663
Community Member

interview

I was messaged from a company that the firsst interview is to take place on whatsapp.  Does this seem legit?

5 REPLIES 5
richard_klaja
Community Member

Well obviousely not. They want to take work outside where they can basically sweet talk you into doing job and then do not pay. Upwork takes a big cut, yes. But you are safer here. There is no reason for interview outside of upwork, you can chat here, make a call, even video call I guess. Dont get desperate. They know people want work, want money - and they can use it against you. Better loose possible client then loose your time working for free for some scammer. Good luck with catching good, legit client!

shefen
Community Member

It could be fine. I've had many interviews on Skype and other non-Upwork tools.

No interviews on Whatsapp yet, but I would not turn it down.

Just keep your wits about you.

akkas73
Community Member

Yes, of course you can go whatsapp, but will be careful.

good luck

65dab6ce
Community Member

As long as the contract is set up through Upwork and they don't ask for any personal information, it could be legit.

I also like to do an internet search of the client before an interview. That also helps to put my mind at rest.

All the best, Koreen!

prestonhunter
Community Member

Koreen:

I doubt that the Whatsapp interview request is from a legitimate client.

But by asking you to interview on Whatsapp, the client is not violating any Upwork rules, and there is nothing you can report or flag the client for yet.

The best tip I could give you would be to make sure you DO NOT Google any names or information that this client gives you. DO NOT search anything. Google searches are a major way that scammers trick newbies.

(Searches are fine for someone like Remi, who has finished 146 jobs and is NOT a newbie. But Koreen is completely new. She doesn't undertand why searches play into the scammer's scheme.)

Instead: Rely on the information found within Upwork, such as the client's stats and hiring history. And come back here to this thread to ask us questions.

If the client wants your contact informaton, or banking information, or wants to "pay" you outside of Upwork, then you'll know for certain that this is just a scammer.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths