cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Calico Labs is a Scam

Highlighted
Kevin Francis B Member Since: Sep 16, 2017
1 of 18

Their ad for a Proof Reader is misspelled. They wasted my time with a 50 minute interview, then they wanted my personal information.
Am I really supposed to believe that their VP of aging research would conduct interviews for entry level positions on a Saturday afternoon?
The last set of questions finally set off the alarm bells.
They have spoofed a legitimate company's website.
Kevin

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ryan C Member Since: Feb 3, 2017
2 of 18

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for addressing your concern here. We have taken action to that client. We're sorry that you had to experience this issue while using our platform.

Untitled
Highlighted
Dominique D Member Since: Oct 31, 2017
3 of 18

Hi...They are still out there. I just got request (filled with typos) to meet in Hangouts to conduct an interview. I chatted with your customer support first and they said it was OK to interview off platform, but that it was likely a scam. Glad this post was here or I might've fallen for it.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
4 of 18

Hi Dominique, 

I would like to confirm that actions have been taken against the job post and the client's account. Please check the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
Highlighted
Ruth G Member Since: Jun 8, 2017
5 of 18

I have found the same scam today -- this is my first day of sending out proposals and I am disappointed that the first to respond is a scam.

**Edited for Community Guidelines** I have wasted time waiting for the "HR manager" to interview me. A world-class genetics expert is NOT going to be an HR manager. This was first reported in September. 

I will see any off-site interviewing as a scam. Thanks for that heads up. 

Please get rid of this scammer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Melissa T Member Since: Dec 5, 2014
6 of 18

Ruth, flag the job if you haven't already. That way someone will look into it. Sorry you wasted your time. 

You should also read the Community Guidelines because posting names and details is against the rules. If you don't edit that out of your post a mod will come along and do it eventually. 

Highlighted
7 of 18

Thanks, Melissa, for telling me not to use the name of a company -- I saw it in a previous post and didn't realize that was against Community Guidelines.

Highlighted
8 of 18

Thanks for telling me to redact the name of the client -- I will. It had been mentioned in a previous post. I did flag the proposal page.

Highlighted
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
9 of 18

Hi Ruth, 

I'd just like to share here the Community Guidelines for your reference. 

For more information about working safely through Upwork, please read these tips for avoiding questionable jobs, and the Safety First! section of the freelancer resources we have compiled. 

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
10 of 18

Kevin, using the name of a respected company that you will likely recognize or can verify through Google search is a technique used by many scammers. Never rely on the name of a company when assessing an opportunity on Upwork (or any other freelancing site, job board, etc.)

You may also want to be more careful in your language in public forums. Your post made it clear that you knew there was a legitimate *** Edited for Community Guidelines ***, but you've created a Google search result headed "*** Edited for Community Guidelines *** is a Scam"--a bit unfair to the real *** Edited for Community Guidelines ***

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS