Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*** is a Scam

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
11 of 18

Thanks for cleaning that up so quickly, Ryan. The search result has disappeared already.

Highlighted
Kevin Francis B Member Since: Sep 16, 2017
12 of 18

Thanks!  I meant that the posting was a scam.  I understand how that could be taken out of context.

Kevin

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
13 of 18

lol at least you're smart enough to recognize it. The people who fall for this are really not very smart. There are a million red flags, and the VP of whatever hiring on Hangouts on a Saturday afternoon for data entry using a Gmail addy are like 5 of them. lol But people are reeeally dumb.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
14 of 18

re: "Hi...They are still out there. I just got request (filled with typos) to meet in Hangouts to conduct an interview. I chatted with your customer support first and they said it was OK to interview off platform, but that it was likely a scam. Glad this post was here or I might've fallen for it."

Typos are fine.

It proves they really do need to hire freelancers to help them.

Inviting you to interview via Google Hangouts is NOT fine.

All Google Hangouts invitations are scams.

Upwork Customer Support may not be able to officially tell you that. But we can tell you that. Next time, if you have a question about something like this... save time and ask about it here in the Forum.

Highlighted
Ruth G Member Since: Jun 8, 2017
15 of 18

I may be new here, but I'm not dumb. Hope XXX's remark isn't  indicative of community attitudes toward new members.

Perhaps some of us are new to the site and not aware of what the red flags might be. It's not Saturday afternoon, just my first day sending out proposals. The people I know who have used UpWork had found legit clients so I didn't realize how much scamming goes on. 

I'm not stepping one toe outside the site with future clients, not to Gmail or Hangouts or Ganything else LOL.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
16 of 18

@Ruth G wrote:

I may be new here, but I'm not dumb. Hope XXX's remark isn't  indicative of community attitudes toward new members.

Perhaps some of us are new to the site and not aware of what the red flags might be. It's not Saturday afternoon, just my first day sending out proposals. The people I know who have used UpWork had found legit clients so I didn't realize how much scamming goes on. 

I'm not stepping one toe outside the site with future clients, not to Gmail or Hangouts or Ganything else LOL.

Your new. Your going to get scam invites. Delete them and move on. Things will get better!

XXX is not the way to reference a previous poster. Use the GREEN QUOTE link at the top right of your post. Just saying, there is an easier way Smiley Happy

We do not expect new people to know what flags there are. But we do expect people to read, when it's suggested that there is a lot to learn about Upwork. There is a learning curve. The regulars of the Forum can help you learn Upwork faster, but do so out of the goodness of their hearts Smiley Happy

As someone who refuses to rely on the Upwork Message Center unless it's to handle perspective client interview schedules. I don't use the Upwork Message Center for voice interviews (Skype, or give the client my business line #). I don't communicate with existing clients throught Upwork Message Center, but instead through Email and Skype.

This is a totally legit way to handle client communication. Right up until you accept a request to be paid off of Upwork. Just say no to those, and you will be fine. The Upwork Message Center often breaks, so if I were you, I'd at least have *1* alternative way to communicate with possible and current clients.

In the 7 years I have been here, I never had a problem with clients because of how I communicated with them.

Highlighted
Jillian Helen Bail O Member Since: Apr 17, 2018
17 of 18

I just got scammed as well. After leading me down the garden path for a half hour, they offered me a job that sounded too good to be true. Then they wanted me to purchase all kinds of equipment from a specific vendor and wanted me to do it immediately. 

Really disappointing. I've attached a screenshot of our hangout conversation here.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Highlighted
Jane K Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
18 of 18

These guys are still out there trying as hard as they can to scam people. I believe they are taking a credible/legitimate company and posing as them to scam people out of money.

I was messaged last night with TONS of typos in the message, to message someone on Hangouts who was the VP of that company, yet they introduced themselves as the HR manager. The spelling was also very unprofessional and full of grammatical errors. On top of that, they promised $25.70/hr plus full benefits. Knew it was too good to be true!

When I declined the offer, they never messaged me back and the job listing closed. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS