cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

is it a scam?

Marie G Member Since: Sep 23, 2015
1 of 9

hi, i was interviewed for a virtual assistant and was told that i would need to open a virtual terminal via paypal so that customers can make payments, then i would keep 10 percent while transferring the rest to the client. can anyone tell me if this is legit? or a scam?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 9

it is a scam.

NEVER use anything in your name to process any payments. Not any "terminal" not your bank not your ebay account not PayPal. NOTHING. Under any circumstances.

I can tell you what would happen:

You take people's money, transfer it to "the client" - the people who paid the money don't get what they paid for, you end up paying, getting sued, and all sorts.

Think about it!? Why in the world would they not do their own "terminal" if they were legitimate?

Report them to Upwork

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 9

What Petra said.  It is  illegal and it is a scam, and you ought to  report the job to CS.

4 of 9

i have reported it, theres good feedback on his profile which made me wonder if it was legit.

i did wonder how that virtual terminal worked, thought i would of been protected seeing as it was paypal.

thanks for the heads up ladies, ive blocked him also from sending me messages :-)

has anyone else come across him? his name is tim believeau and says hes from **Edited for Community Guidelines**

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 9

Just to clarify, he wanted you to create a terminal in your name through your PayPal account, right?

How much good feedback is there on his profile and to what value?

His name is probably fake, and he may or may not have any connection to the site you mention. Usually they sit in an internet cafe far far away in a warm country, close to the nearest Western Union outlet, and usually request the funds to be sent via Western Union. Sometimes PayPal.

And no, you'd not be protected if it all went wrong. Often they have you list expensive stuff at a ridiculously low price, so lots of people pay. By the time the buyers figure out they're not going to receive their bargains you have long sent the 90% to the so-called client. The goods never arrive, because they don't exist. Buyers go toPayPal for their money back. PayPal comes after you for it, hard, in any country in the world. You could end up going bankrupt to the tune of tens of thousands of Pounds. If you're really unlucky you get taken to court for fraud as well.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
6 of 9

re: "i did wonder how that virtual terminal worked, thought i would of been protected seeing as it was paypal."

PayPal is a big company.

That doesn't mean it is always safe to use PayPal.

Because it is a big company associated with the transfer of money, scammers are always trying to figure out ways to use it running their scams.

So PayPal doesn't mean "safe."

Same goes for Upwork. Big company. Lots of money flowing. That makes it a target for scammers. A lot of the hoops we go through, such as security verification and waiting periods for funds transfers, were not in place originally, but were put in place as a reaction to scammers figuring out ways to use Upwork to steal money.

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
7 of 9

Thanks for replying Petra and Nichola.

Marie, thanks for following the advice shared by experienced users on this thread and reporting the client. You should only receive payments through the Upwork platform. Paying and receiving payment outside Upwork is against our policy and carries a penalty for all parties involved. This policy is there to keep our marketplace secure and to protect both freelancers and clients.

Also, note that posting names or any identifying information is not allowed in the Community, so I had to edit your post.

8 of 9

oops sorry didnt know that.. so i wont do that again.

i have googled it and done my own investigations about him and yes your right it its a scam.

does anyone regulate the people who are offering work?

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
9 of 9

Something to take note of with regards to whether a job posted is a scam or not?

If it looks like a duck, if it walks like a duck...and if it quakes like a duck.....the chances are it is not a chicken.

And flag it!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS