🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: is refunding the amount affects my upwork...
Page options
aaajaykumar
Community Member

is refunding the amount affects my upwork job sucess

My client said they no longer need the job so they want the refund so i refund them the money is the refunding affects my job sucess score or not please clear this doubt of me .

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you were hired for a job, and then you refund all money associated for that job, then you end up with a "zero-pay contract."

If you have relatively few of these, it won't negatively impact your Job Success Score. But if you have a higher proportion of these relative to your overall number of jobs, then: Yes, these will cause JSS to go down.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
prestonhunter
Community Member

If you were hired for a job, and then you refund all money associated for that job, then you end up with a "zero-pay contract."

If you have relatively few of these, it won't negatively impact your Job Success Score. But if you have a higher proportion of these relative to your overall number of jobs, then: Yes, these will cause JSS to go down.

Preston H wrote:

If you have relatively few of these, it won't negatively impact your Job Success Score. B

No true.

A "nothing paid + no feedback" or "nothing paid + poor (private) feedback" contract will always and under all circumstances have a negative effect on the JSS (unless the client was removed / suspended for policy violations or excluded as a problem client)

A "nothing paid + positive (private) feedback" will not hurt provided there aren't many of them.

kat303
Community Member

Yes, a job with no money will affect your JSS. In addition to that, you've rewarded the client who most likely used this tactic many times before. A quick and extremely easy way to get free work, just tell the freelancer that either the work is not what they want or that they don't need the work anymore and in a heartbeat, the freelancer will refund all money. So, Is it your fault that the client doesn't need the work that you did? Don't you want to get paid for the time and effort you put into this job? You were contracted for a service, you provided that service, you delivered quality work. What the client does with it, or whether they need it or not is NOT your problem nor your responsibility. 

re: "....will always and under all circumstances have a negative effect on the JSS"

Then what the original poster is asking about is even WORSE than I suggested.

I will try to remember that and not make the same mistake again.

Keeping in mind Petra's and Kathy's points, and thinking about some of the many recent threads on this general topic, below are some rules that Upwork clients need to follow. These aren't necessarily official Upwork rules. These are rules that one follows in order to be a decent person and not a scourge to humanity:

1) If you hire a freelancer to do a fixed-price contract, and they do the agreed-upon task, you pay them the agreed-upon amount by releasing the money in escrow.

2) If you hire a freelancer to do a fixed-price contract, and they do the agreed-upon task, but you don't like it for some reason not addressed in the agreement, you still need to pay them the agreed-upon amount. If you really don't like their work, you may choose to never hire them again.

3) If you hire a freelancer to do a fixed-price contract, and then change your mind about wanting the project done, then contact them as soon as possible. If they haven't done any work at all, IT IS OKAY to cancel the project. Contact the freelancer, offer $2 to $5 (or more if appropriate) for their time and inconvenience. They SHOULD AGREE to refund the FULL AMOUNT minus your token payment. If they don't agree, then the freelancer is in the wrong.

4) If you hire a freelancer to do a fixed-price contract, and you change your mind about wanting it done, and the freelancer has already started work on the project, IT IS OKAY to contact the freelancer and ask to cancel the project. Ask them what percent of the project is completed, and pay them that percent of the funded escrow payment. This is fair. They should agree to this.

5) If you hire a freelancer to do a fixed-price contract, you may cancel at ANY TIME WITHOUT getting the freelancer's permission by releasing the full amount in escrow and closing the contract.

6) If something isn't explicitly specified in the original agreement, you can't ask the freelancer to do it as part of the fixed-price contract. You need to create a new contract, or a new milestone, or set up an hourly contract, or pay the freelancer an agreed-upon bonus payment before she does the extra work.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths