🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » job poster is requesting my whatsapp details
Page options
prince-mark
Community Member

job poster is requesting my whatsapp details

the client asks me (freelancer) for my WhatsApp details, is this allowed ????

6 REPLIES 6
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Mark,

Just to clarify, were you hired on an official contract? 
Please keep in mind that sharing contact information before a contract is formed is a violation of our TOS. Once an official contract is formed, you and your client can communicate outside of Upwork as well. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi, Goran

The client sent me an invite to propose an offer which I send, while chatting on Upwork to find out more information on the job at hand, he asked for my Whatsapp details, on Upwork no interview, nor an offer.

The only reason a client would need any contact details would be to facilitate communicating off the platform. That is permissible (and sometimes advisable) after a contract is in place. It used to be common during the interview phase but is now not permitted (unless necessary for exchange of an NDA or access to a site or server in order to scope a job). Unless there is a sound and obvious reason -- it's somehow necessary in order for you to scope the project and quote a fee or hourly rate -- don't agree to it and be wary of that client.

prestonhunter
Community Member

I would tell the prospective client:

"Yes, I will provide you with my WhatsApp details. Upwork allows freelancers to provide their contact information and communicate through outside tools such as WhatsApp after an official Upwork contract is in place. So after you click the Hire button, I will accept the contract and then I can log time while we communicate using WhatsApp. Until then, we may use Upwork's Messages tool or Upwork's new integrated Zoom feature."

sofia2008
Community Member

Providing contact details is NOT ALLOWED before a contract is in place.

starrynightastro
Community Member

Though it's allowed when a contract is in place, I generally don't with a new client to make sure that our interactions go smoothly, and there is an Upwork record of our communications. Overly cautious, perhaps. But better safe than sorry. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members