Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

job success score dropped for no reason

Highlighted
Tanja Z Member Since: Oct 29, 2018
1 of 11

Hi,

I don't understand how job success score works so I was hoping some could help me understand. I have done 8 jobs and all of my clients gave me 5 stars and would recommend me so for 8 weeks I had 100 % job success score. Now, one of my clients refuses to pay me and we have a contract in dispute. My job success score has dropped to 89% and the support team told me that after the dispute is over, no matter if I win or lose, my client can leave me feedback which will affect my score (and apparently, the feedback will not be good no matter the outcome). They would not tell me why my job success score dropped in the first place so now I am worried about how that will affect me getting new jobs since the drop doesn't have sense in the first place. Anybody had the same issue? Can somebody explain what happened?

Thanks in advance!

Tanja

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 11

job success score dropped for no reason

Now, one of my clients refuses to pay me and we have a contract in dispute. 

depositphotos_208774760-stock-video-digital-generated-video-confused-emoji

Highlighted
3 of 11
I understand your point but if Upwork lowers my JSS for dispute and then afterwards can leave feedback, my JSS will lower twice for the same job. That doesn't seem fair to me.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
4 of 11

Speculation and rumors aren't going to help you figure out how JSS works. When a client closes a contract, they leave feedback. You then have a set period of time in which to leave your feedback. Has the client closed the contract? If so, their feedback has already been given. You may have other clients who have closed contracts but would not recommend you to their peers--this will drop your score. 

"Reasons I don't like or agree with" is not the same as "for no reason." 

Highlighted
5 of 11
I would definitely, agree with you, but I can not leave him feedback which is weird 😐

My question was generally if it could drop for some other reason that I am not aware of, or is the dispute the reason.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 11

@Tanja Z wrote:

I have done 8 jobs and all of my clients gave me 5 stars and would recommend me so for 8 weeks I had 100 % job success score. Now, one of my clients refuses to pay me and we have a contract in dispute.

That client has (I believe) already left feedback. (When there is a dispute the contract is closed first, usually)

You also can't "win / lose" a dispute. That can only be mediated. To "win" or "lose" you'd have to go to arbitration (cost $ 291 each)

Highlighted
7 of 11
So the client can leave me feedback even tough I can not leave feedback to him? My friend had a dispute few years ago and he "won" it without any expenses since Upwork found him "right" in his case and got everything paid. Did the rules for dispute change?

Btw: thanks for the input
Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
8 of 11

@Tanja Z wrote:
So the client can leave me feedback even tough I can not leave feedback to him? My friend had a dispute few years ago and he "won" it without any expenses since Upwork found him "right" in his case and got everything paid. Did the rules for dispute change?

That may have been before Escrow, because the client did not contest the dispute or for an hourly contract. The rules for fixed rate contracts are different, only the amount in Escrow can be disputed, and a dispute can not be decided by a involved party, only by a certified arbitrator. This costs $ 291 each for the client, you, and Upwork, and is non-refundable.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
9 of 11

@Tanja Z wrote:

Btw: thanks for the input

Freelancers often come to the forums and say that Upwork "found them right" and then with further discussion it turns out that either the client conceded or Upwork decided to return the client's money and pay the freelancer out of its own pocket to put an end to the matter.

Upwork doesn't find in favor of one party or the other.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Rabia A Member Since: Apr 13, 2011
10 of 11

My profile's JSS has suddenly dropped from an 83% to a 73% within 3 days.

Can anyone explain to me, why?

Also, I haven't closed any contracts, there are no disputes, I have just been applying on jobs.

My profile is also set to private.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS