🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: jobs
Page options
wicky27
Community Member

jobs

I have been getting feedback from clients who have been messaging me lately but the client wants me to do a task or a short assignment first before they create a contract or proceed with the work I gave a proposal for. what should I do?

3 REPLIES 3
759e32fa

Hi Wycliffe,

Thank you for reaching out. Please avoid working for a client unless a contract is started. While it is up to freelancers to vet for their clients, we highly suggest that you avoid submitting work for free.

If they are asking you to complete a test, this is okay since they're gauging your skills.

We suggest you check this article for more information on how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ AJ
Upwork
wicky27
Community Member

THANKS FOR THE FEEDBACK VERY HELPFUL

elisa_b
Community Member

Hi AJ,

I understand that the English language tends to be overly polite, but wouldn't it be better to state clearly how things work? 

• Please avoid working for a client unless a contract is started > Do not work for a client unless a contract is started
  • we highly suggest that you avoid submitting work for free > working for free is not allowed
  • If they are asking you to complete a test, this is okay since they're gauging your skills > If they are asking you to complete a test, this is okay as long as the test is paid

Surely I do not want to argue with anybody, but if something is forbidden, it would be better to state it clearly! Especially for non-native speakers, who might struggle to understand the subtle nuances of this language.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members