🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » long interview hour for freelance job
Page options
chandradev819
Community Member

long interview hour for freelance job

Hi All,

Recently i gave one technical interview on upwork he took 1 hrs for 1st  round then next week he scheduled for next technical round interview, Other person took again 1 hrs coding test.  They simply wasted my 2 hrs time. They didnot hire me.

If we are getting this type of client, can we charge for interview process ? how do you handle this type of client ?

Regards

Chandradev

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Chandradev,

I always insist on at least one Zoom call (preferably two) before agreeing to a contract with a new client.

I do this for multiple reasons. including to get a better feel whether this is the type of client I want to work with, they will be fully engaged with the process, understand what they are expecting from me, etc.. I am willing to spend about 5 percent of the time I expect their hourly project will require from me on pre-contract Zoom calls or written communication.

Since my average project usually involves at least 20 - 25 hours of billable time, I will spend up to an hour or so on pre-contract communications (but not do any work deliverables for the client). 

And I don't take any tests. My sample work for and Upwork feedback from previous clients are enough to prove my skills. But I could understand that a pre-contract test might be useful to both freelancer and client, especially for complex or highly technical subjects, but does that need to take an hour or more? It depends - that is a decision for the individual freelancer.

You'll just have to find out over time what you expect to be paid for each new project and then decide how much "free" work you are willing to do in pre-contract conversations, etc. At some point, you just have to tell some clients when your free consultation has to turn into a contract.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Chandradev,

I always insist on at least one Zoom call (preferably two) before agreeing to a contract with a new client.

I do this for multiple reasons. including to get a better feel whether this is the type of client I want to work with, they will be fully engaged with the process, understand what they are expecting from me, etc.. I am willing to spend about 5 percent of the time I expect their hourly project will require from me on pre-contract Zoom calls or written communication.

Since my average project usually involves at least 20 - 25 hours of billable time, I will spend up to an hour or so on pre-contract communications (but not do any work deliverables for the client). 

And I don't take any tests. My sample work for and Upwork feedback from previous clients are enough to prove my skills. But I could understand that a pre-contract test might be useful to both freelancer and client, especially for complex or highly technical subjects, but does that need to take an hour or more? It depends - that is a decision for the individual freelancer.

You'll just have to find out over time what you expect to be paid for each new project and then decide how much "free" work you are willing to do in pre-contract conversations, etc. At some point, you just have to tell some clients when your free consultation has to turn into a contract.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members