🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » low rates
Page options
796a95d8
Community Member

low rates

I am very sad to see the absolutely ridiculous lowball hourly rates that clients demand in exchange for work. I think a lot of unscrupulous businesses are trying to bypass minimum wage laws and taking advantage of people on this platform. I wish Upwork would set a minimum amount that can be allowed for hourly pay because my heart breaks for the people who accept $3 an hour for labor. 

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alison, 

I'm sorry to hear you're not seeing the value you expect in your job feed. As those projects may be of interest to other freelancers, please use filters while searching to exclude those you're not interested in. Keep in mind that 33% of jobs on Upwork are posted privately–clients fill these by searching for the essential skills they need and invite freelancers who fit the bill to submit a proposal. Make sure your profile speaks well for your abilities so you don't miss out on those incredible opportunities.

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Alison S wrote:

I think a lot of unscrupulous businesses are trying to bypass minimum wage laws

Minimum wage is for employment. Upwork is freelancing.

And the minimum wage differs from country to country. In one country with a huge number of Upwork freelancers, $3 an hour would be 15 times the minimum wage.

Alison S wrote:

I wish Upwork would set a minimum amount that can be allowed for hourly pay

They do. It is $3 per hour

When this was introduced, the people who complained most bitterly were freelancers with low rates because it  took away their livelihood.

Alison S wrote: my heart breaks for the people who accept $3 an hour for labor. 

Even if that is considerably more than they could hope to earn in their local economy?

796a95d8
Community Member

People deserve to be paid more, regardless of where they live. Even if they live in a country with low wages, they should still be able to earn more. Their laws haven't caught up to proper living standards. That's why they are being exploited by clients who would rather hire cheap labor. 

petra_r
Community Member

Alison S wrote:

People deserve to be paid more, regardless of where they live. Even if they live in a country with low wages, they should still be able to earn more. 

As freelancers, it is within their power to earn more. There are many highly skilled people in such countries who are earning high rates.

That said, when the cost of living is much lower, you can have a higher standard of living compared to someone with a higher rate but much higher cost of living.

Upwork raising the minimum rate doesn't get people paid more. It merely shifts the pressure and takes all chance of earning a living from the most vulnerable.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members