🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: macOS screenshots not working right with ...
Page options
andrewbenson90
Community Member

macOS screenshots not working right with Upwork app after recent update, macOS Mojave and Catalina

Since the last Upwork app update, maybe a week or so ago, the Upwork app is only capturing blank blue screens, or a blank blue macOS desktop, menu bar, and the upwork app window itself -- but nothing else.

The Upwork app prompted me to enable it for "Screen Recording" in system settings, which I did, but it still doesn't work.  

Obviously the clients dislike this.

I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled Upwork, and tried on both my Catalina MBP and my Mojave iMac and the result is the same.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any ideas for how to fix?

Thanks!

Andrew

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Brylle and others,

I'd like to follow up here to clarify the issues that you and others have reported on this thread as well as fixes and workarounds we've been able to provide.

•  The issue with screenshots has been fixed on the most recent version of Upwork Desktop App. It can be downloaded via this link.
  • Some of you may still run into issues with being unable to uncheck the security option for screen capture. That is due to a known issue with Catalina OS that affects multiple apps not just Upwork Desktop App. The solution is to run `tccutil reset All` in Terminal app to force reset all permissions so that they are properly requested again.

Please, refer to Vladimir's post from earlier for more detailed instructions and screenshots:

Vladimir G. wrote:

1. Close the Desktop App

2. Run tccutil reset All com.upwork.Upwork in terminal to reset any granted permissions.

2.1. If "Upwork" STILL is present in the Screen Recording section of Settings & Privacy, then please use tccutil reset All

3. Install the Upwork Desktop app version from this link.

4. Test functionality by taking a screenshot with the App (unless customized should be prompted by Ctrl+Alt+S or Ctrl+Alt+A, check the Keyboard Shortcuts in Settings to confirm this option is turned on) and authorize Upwork App when seeing this pop-up.

This is how the pop-up and your Security settings should look like after following the steps above:

1. Select "Open System Preferences".

UDA1.png

2. Tick the box next to "Upwork".

UDA2.png

3. Select "Quit Now"

UDA3.png

4. Confirm "Upwork" is on the list as shown below.

UDA4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

271 REPLIES 271
versailles
Community Member

Also since the last update, it freezes on startup almost all the time. I think this update sucks. I've sent a bug report and got crickets.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I haven't seen the freezing issue, for whatever reason.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew,

We apologize for the inconvenience this caused you. This is a known issue and our engineers are looking into it. I've escalated your report and our team will keep you updated regarding this issue directly via your existing support ticket.

We appreciate your patience while our team is working on fixing this issue.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Means no more hourly payment protection for Mac users...

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Andrew and Rene,

Could you please download this beta version of the app which includes a build that should resolve the issue? Also, please check these articles for mac's Security & Privacy settings:

How to Allow WebCam and Microphone with macOS Mojave
Enabling Screen Recording Permission on macOS Catalina

We hope this will help.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Not working, I already tried installing the beta and setting all permissions

I'm sorry to hear that issue persists, Edwin Marcelo!

I will go ahead and follow up your concern with our team so that they can get back to you once they have more information. 

Thank you for your patience! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Having the same issue. The latest update and beta doesn't work.
It won't even allow you to change privacy permissions; the checkmark on privacy settings doesn't respond. It's checked but can't be unchecked, yet doesn't make proper screenhots anyway. It can only make screenhots of the desktop wallpaper and Upwork app's screen and navigation icon..

It's also annoying that the update is mandatory when it's not working.

As a workaround, I keep the version 5.2.3.771 and refuse version 5.3.3.800:
1. Open Upwork app version 5.2.3.771

If it got update for 5.3.3.800:
2. Go to "/Users/<Your User>/Library/Application Support/Upwork/Upwork/Updates/5.3.3.800"
3. Delete that update
4. Click Upwork's "Update Now" button. It will only keep the spinning turning because the update got deleted.
5. Quit Upwork app then open again.

Screen Shot 2019-10-16 at 5.26.07 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-10-16 at 5.43.57 PM.png

Hi Brylle and others,

I'd like to follow up here to clarify the issues that you and others have reported on this thread as well as fixes and workarounds we've been able to provide.

•  The issue with screenshots has been fixed on the most recent version of Upwork Desktop App. It can be downloaded via this link.
  • Some of you may still run into issues with being unable to uncheck the security option for screen capture. That is due to a known issue with Catalina OS that affects multiple apps not just Upwork Desktop App. The solution is to run `tccutil reset All` in Terminal app to force reset all permissions so that they are properly requested again.

Please, refer to Vladimir's post from earlier for more detailed instructions and screenshots:

Vladimir G. wrote:

1. Close the Desktop App

2. Run tccutil reset All com.upwork.Upwork in terminal to reset any granted permissions.

2.1. If "Upwork" STILL is present in the Screen Recording section of Settings & Privacy, then please use tccutil reset All

3. Install the Upwork Desktop app version from this link.

4. Test functionality by taking a screenshot with the App (unless customized should be prompted by Ctrl+Alt+S or Ctrl+Alt+A, check the Keyboard Shortcuts in Settings to confirm this option is turned on) and authorize Upwork App when seeing this pop-up.

This is how the pop-up and your Security settings should look like after following the steps above:

1. Select "Open System Preferences".

UDA1.png

2. Tick the box next to "Upwork".

UDA2.png

3. Select "Quit Now"

UDA3.png

4. Confirm "Upwork" is on the list as shown below.

UDA4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you very much Smiley Very Happy

This has worked for me, so with my other apps..

I followed the steps exactly as instructed in https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/macOS-screenshots-not-working-right-with-Upwork-app-afte...

However, it still doesn't work. 

Upwork is available and checked under Privacy > Screen Recording section. However, Upwork is not available at all under Privacy > Automation section. 

Hi  Saroj,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I tried this solution and I can't tick the upwork on the screen recording menu. App is still taking screenshot of my desktop but not the other windows that I'm currently working on. Im using mac OS catalina 10.15. Help.

This isn't working and I've tried to get the recording to work by trouble shooting for 2 wks. This is worrying me b/c I am a very honest and trustworthy freelancer, but I would like to have my work insured b/c I've had issues in the past with scammy users. How can I get the recording to work? 

computer: Macbook Pro MacOS Catalina Version 10.15

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Morgan,

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble this caused. Please check the tips Valeria and Vladimir shared in this post. Let us know if the issue persists.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Yes i've tried this and my computer does not do step 4. I cannot figure out why.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Morgan,

Could you please click on the lock to make changes to your settings? Let us know if that worked!

1.jpg

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork

When I click on the unlock and put in my password, UpWork does not appear
as an option .... any advice?
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Morgan,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further with this concern.

Thank you for your patience. 

~ Bojan
Upwork

Hi!
I uninstalled the UPwork software on my Mac and it still isn't
screenshotting my screen.
I need better assistance please.
Thanks,
morgan

Hi Morgan,

Our team has already reached out to you via ticket to assist you further. Please refer to your ticket with number 27071325. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi! I had the same issue when the upwork tracker automatically updated after I reboot my computer w/ catalina OS. I installed the beta version and that fixed the issue but I'm now getting a prompt to update my tracker which I don't want to do. How can I prevent the app from updating?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Madeline,

Feel free to install the new Desktop App as it should be fixed. Additionally, you can refer to this help article for troubleshooting tips and let us know if you still experience issues after applying them. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you so much Valeria!  Your solution worked. 🙂

Did these steps and Upwork still does not pop up as an option under Screenshot settings. What else can I do to resolve this issue? I'm running on macOS Catalina. 

Hi Emmelie and Madelyn, 

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via support ticket, thank you.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Can anyone explain this to someone who is clueless as to what this means?

Hi Megan,

Sorry about the delay in following up on your question. If you haven't followed this step yet, please run `tccutil reset All` in Terminal app to force reset all permissions so that they are properly requested again.

Please refer to my earlier post here and let me know if you need further assistance.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

not working again after the update and Upwork is not appearing in the automation so anywhere to tick untick. 

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for the follow up Dennise,

One of our team members will reach out to you via ticket as soon as possible and assist you further with the desktop app. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

My  desktop time tracker/chat app no longer works. It only shows a four screen walkthrough, but then fails to load my time tracker and chat. This happened as of yesterday, when it was functioning normally.

I have not updated my OS in several weeks. I uninstalled and reinstalled the desktop app. I have also disconnected my connected services, but nothing works. Everytime I restart the app.

upwork: 5.5.3.883

g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Norm,

Please check the steps that shared in this post and let me know if the issue still persists. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi,
I have the same problem as everyone else here.
I followed the linked post instructions literally with no effect.  The permission is enabled but screenshot contains only Upwork app windows, that's all.

Hi Slava,

Could you please try Troubleshooting tips shared in this help article.  If the issue persists, please report it following ''How do I report a problem?'' section of previously shared Troubleshooting guide, and our team will assist you directly.

Thank you.

~ Bojan
Upwork

This advice does not work as I have tried it SEVERAL TIMES!

I have reset the terminal with 'tccutil reset All com.upwork.Upwork' 5 times, re-downloaded the app and updated the app at least 5 times. App is still only screenshooting itself. I have pictures &&& Video and have been in email chats with support and all of the same directions and NO RESULTS. I have two clients that I busted my ass to get and now I cannot work because the platform that is taking a percentage of my pay to provide these services, cannot fix it. 

I have been having the same issue- and have reset everything, went into terminal and reset there- what exactly did you do?

Hi Grace,

I apologize for the inconvenience this caused. I'll go ahead and follow up with the team handling your case and you can expect to receive an update on your ticket directly.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Bojan
Upwork

Thank you! Issue solved in my mac! 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths