🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » macOS screenshots not working right with Upwo...
Page options
andrewbenson90
Community Member

macOS screenshots not working right with Upwork app after recent update, macOS Mojave and Catalina

Since the last Upwork app update, maybe a week or so ago, the Upwork app is only capturing blank blue screens, or a blank blue macOS desktop, menu bar, and the upwork app window itself -- but nothing else.

The Upwork app prompted me to enable it for "Screen Recording" in system settings, which I did, but it still doesn't work.  

Obviously the clients dislike this.

I've rebooted, uninstalled and reinstalled Upwork, and tried on both my Catalina MBP and my Mojave iMac and the result is the same.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any ideas for how to fix?

Thanks!

Andrew

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Brylle and others,

I'd like to follow up here to clarify the issues that you and others have reported on this thread as well as fixes and workarounds we've been able to provide.

•  The issue with screenshots has been fixed on the most recent version of Upwork Desktop App. It can be downloaded via this link.
  • Some of you may still run into issues with being unable to uncheck the security option for screen capture. That is due to a known issue with Catalina OS that affects multiple apps not just Upwork Desktop App. The solution is to run `tccutil reset All` in Terminal app to force reset all permissions so that they are properly requested again.

Please, refer to Vladimir's post from earlier for more detailed instructions and screenshots:

Vladimir G. wrote:

1. Close the Desktop App

2. Run tccutil reset All com.upwork.Upwork in terminal to reset any granted permissions.

2.1. If "Upwork" STILL is present in the Screen Recording section of Settings & Privacy, then please use tccutil reset All

3. Install the Upwork Desktop app version from this link.

4. Test functionality by taking a screenshot with the App (unless customized should be prompted by Ctrl+Alt+S or Ctrl+Alt+A, check the Keyboard Shortcuts in Settings to confirm this option is turned on) and authorize Upwork App when seeing this pop-up.

This is how the pop-up and your Security settings should look like after following the steps above:

1. Select "Open System Preferences".

UDA1.png

2. Tick the box next to "Upwork".

UDA2.png

3. Select "Quit Now"

UDA3.png

4. Confirm "Upwork" is on the list as shown below.

UDA4.png

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

271 REPLIES 271

THIS ISNT WORKING AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I CANT EVEN OPEN THE APP ONCE INSTALLED BY DOWNLOADING IT FROM THAT LINK IN THE 'SOLUTION'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Pamela,

I’ve shared your concern with the team. One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Upwork app is only capturing blank blue screens, or a blank blue macOS desktop, menu bar, and the Upwork app window itself -- but nothing else.

The Upwork app prompted me to enable it for "Screen Recording" in system settings, which I did, but it still doesn't work. I have also used the solutions mentioned in the community but facing the same issue.

Any ideas for how to fix it?

Thanks!

Vivek!

Hi Vivek,

You mentioned using the solutions found here in the Community. Could you please confirm if you tried using the steps Valeria shared in this post? If the problem persists after trying those steps, please let us know so that we can assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Hi Aleksandar,

I have followed the steps mentioned in the post, but I am facing issues on the second step. I couldn't find Upwork on the Screen recoding permisions.

Thanks!

Hi Vivek,

I shared your issue with the rest of our team and one of our agents already reached out to you directly via this support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I am having the same issue, I can't find Upwork on the Screen recoding permissions in my settings (it's not there.)

I've followed the instructions and uninstalled and reinstalled the app 5 times and I can't get it to request access to my permissions.

Hi Sophia,

Could you, please refer to this help article for troubleshooting tips and let us know if you still experience issues after applying them? 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork

I was facing same issue with macOS Catalina and have resolved the issue by using below link:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/360037843634-Activate-Screenshot-and-Webcam-for-MacOS-M...

I can't get Upwork to show in my Automation tab for my Mac settings no matter what I do. Can I have a ticket opened for this? My client doesn't want to work with me because the screenshots are only taking captures of my desktop. 

Hi Tyler,

I've escalated your concern to the team. One of our agents will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket.

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hey there, 

I am using the Upwork time tracker via the Desktop app. 

Every time it takes a screenshot, it takes one of the just the Upwork app open, not the screen I am actually working in. When I first installed the tracker, it bought up a notification and I gave the app access to record my screen etc. I have looked on other forums and tried to give Upwork access and reset. I have a Macbook Pro. Still getting the same issue of the incorrect screenshots being logged.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Cheers,
Brianna 

Hi Brianna,

Could you please confirm if you tried using the steps Valeria shared in this post? If the problem persists after trying those steps, please let me know so that I can assist you further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi team

This Problem is still existing for me. 

I have tried to to solve it as described. (troubleshooting steps) 

Obviously the Link to the Desktop app Version is outdated, so i am not even able to get it started. 

I am using the Upwork Desktop App Version 5.6.4.1 for my Mac instead.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-23 um 17.54.16.png

I have successfully granted permission for "Screen Recording" 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-23 um 17.55.59.png

But i can not confirm this for "Automatisation" even tho i followed the Guide. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-06-23 um 17.56.08.png

Any Idea?

Kindest as always

#MB

Hi Upwork team!

I am using the desktop tracker for the first time. I have a Mac and I tried selecting both 'all monitors' and 'active monitors', even though I do not use an external monitor. No matter what I try, it will only capture my background and the application. I even closed all spaces and made sure I open Chrome right next to the desktop tracker but it doesn't show it anyways. 
Help!

Thank you in advance!
BR

Katja

Hi Katja,

Could you please try the steps shared in this post to see if they help? If they don't, please let us know so we can assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

I followed the steps exactly as instructed in https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/macOS-screenshots-not-working-right-with-Upwork-app-afte...

However, it still doesn't work. 

Upwork is available and checked under Privacy > Screen Recording section. However, Upwork is not available at all under Privacy > Automation section. 

Hi Jane,

I shared your concern with the rest of our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

hi, the link doesn't work. my app screeshots black on my macbook m2. please help.

The app doesn't take screenshots of the current windows that I'm working on. I have the upwork app on the screen recording menu but I'm unable to tick it. Help

Hi John Paul,

Consider these steps. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy. Then, find Screen Recording and click the Upwork desktop app.

Hope this helps!

Yeah it's there but i'm unable to tick the box

Hi John Paul, 

I checked your screen shot, and I have added some annotations. Please click on the lock to make changes to your settings. If you need further help with the Upwork Desktop App, please let me know so that I can assist you. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 9.03.30 AM.jpg

~ Avery
Upwork

Hi John,

I am having the same issue but cannot seem to get help from the UpWork team to fix it which is unfortunant. I rely on the security of payment from UpWork and now I have no security of payment. Hoping to get this resolved soon as I've followed all of the steps and nothing is working on my Mac OS Catalina 10.15

Hi Morgan,

Could you please follow the instructions shared with your on your ticket with number 27071325? If you have already tried out the steps please update your ticket so that our engineering team can investigate it further. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
695ba459
Community Member

Hi !

I am having similar problems. It is capturing my my screen, but not the active screen and I have allowed all of the permissions. Any tips?

Nto Mbeng Agbor

Here are more screenshots for context.

Nto Mbeng Agbor
artemirq
Community Member

Beta version is solve the problem for me. Thank you

is there is any resolution for the same I am having the same issue.

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Praneet,

Could you please download this beta version of the app which includes a build that should resolve the issue? Also, please check these articles for mac's Security & Privacy settings:

How to Allow WebCam and Microphone with macOS Mojave
Enabling Screen Recording Permission on macOS Catalina

Have you tried downloading the previously shared beta version and adjusting mac's Security & Privacy settings? 

If the issue persists please let us know and we'll have our team assist you further.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
jkintanar
Community Member

Hi,

New to community forums here. Experienced the same blank desktop screenshot, tried the beta download, now it's not even showing my contracts.

p.s. how do I reply to a thread instead of replying to a comment. sorry 

I am on MacBook pro Catalina, just updated time tracker application.

I have cleared all caches and restarted my time tracker.

After working for an hour I saw it captured an empty window of my computer this whole time. I had onpend 3-4 windows. in the time tracker settings capture all screens is checked.

Is anyone having same issue ?

Md. Awlad Hossain L wrote:

After working for an hour I saw it captured an empty window of my computer this whole time. I had onpend 3-4 windows. in the time tracker settings capture all screens is checked.

Is anyone having same issue ?

Everyone with Catalina does. Upwork are aware and working on it. It happens frequently when Apple springs a new OS on the world...

Check "System Preferences" > "Security & Privacy" > "Privacy" tab > "Screen Recording". Upwork should be checked.

Look at this thread

Try this beta version

Mine works now.

You are right. Upwork was not checked. It was checked before, after updating app it was not checked. Now its working fine

Thank you very much! it actually worked!!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Md. Awlad, 

Please let us know if the beta version that Petra linked on her post doesn't resolve the issue for you so that we can look into this further.

~ Avery
Upwork

When using the Beta version, it keeps telling me to update my desktop app. How can I get around this?

Resolved!

Upwork app was not checked in the security & privacy settings. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi James, 

No worries, we received your post just the same. You should be able to reply to the thread by replying to the first original post. 

James K wrote:

p.s. how do I reply to a thread instead of replying to a comment. sorry 

I can see that you alread have an open ticket for your issue, and the team is working to resolve this. I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused. Feel free to follow up on the same ticket thread so that the team handling your case can assist you further.

~ Avery
Upwork

My MAC OS was recently updated to Catalina. The upwork time tracking was working fine and screenshots of my active screen are showing not until upwork desktop app upgraded, few minutes after my OS upgrade took effect. Now, all screenshots are only showing my desktop wall paper. 

Im trying to tick and untick the System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Screen Recording > Upwork however, despite authenticating the changes, i cant seem to tick and untick (just to refresh the permission) this particular setting. If i click to untick,  a message to close the Upwork App prompts, and even if i select quit now, it still doesnt untick. Other access permission seems to work fine except this screen recording. Now I cant work with my long term client because of this. please help.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members