🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » messages from strangers
Page options
katiecan1
Community Member

messages from strangers

Hi Community,

Today I received a message from someone that I've never had prior contact with (eg didn't respond to a job post, etc.).

After I declined the 'opportunity' the following message popped up: [Name] does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored.

How is it that this person was able to contact me?

As always, appreciate your insights.

Best,

Kathryn

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kathryn, 

I can confirm that the team took action on the client's account after they sent you a message. There are cases where we are unable to foresee a violation based on a client's job post itself or their initial communications with the freelancer. We usually receive flags when the interview stage has already commenced, where the client explicitly communicates this (ToS violation) with a freelancer. In cases like these, the teams involved take action immediately against the client's job post and account based on the report.

~ Avery
Upwork

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
lysis10
Community Member

Kathryn M wrote:

Hi Community,

Today I received a message from someone that I've never had prior contact with (eg didn't respond to a job post, etc.).

After I declined the 'opportunity' the following message popped up: [Name] does not currently have access to Upwork and will not receive messages until access is restored.

How is it that this person was able to contact me?

As always, appreciate your insights.

Best,

Kathryn

The client got banned after they direct messaged you.

Good to know, this one did seem fishy. Thank you, Jennifer.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Kathryn, 

I can confirm that the team took action on the client's account after they sent you a message. There are cases where we are unable to foresee a violation based on a client's job post itself or their initial communications with the freelancer. We usually receive flags when the interview stage has already commenced, where the client explicitly communicates this (ToS violation) with a freelancer. In cases like these, the teams involved take action immediately against the client's job post and account based on the report.

~ Avery
Upwork
katiecan1
Community Member

Thanks, Avery. Quick action on the part of the team tells me the system was working on my behalf. Nice to know!

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members