cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

minimum hourly rate, Very Very BAD thing on oDesk

Highlighted
Mahbub A Member Since: Feb 12, 2014
1 of 55
oDesk was my favorite online marketplace but since last 6 month, i hate oDesk SOO MUCH. It is very painful for me to hate oDesk but oDesk has done like this. The most bad things I think on oDesk is to set the MINIMUM HOURLY RATE. For me it is USD 4.44. But oDesk is giving chance to client to hire clients below USD 1 still. So I can't apply most of the job on Admin Support field. I am still agree to work USD 1, but odesk don't let me apply. So it is frustrating me and like me MANY contractor has frustrated, I believe. SO oDesk should get off the system to keep the contractors with odesk.
PRADEEP C Member Since: May 30, 2011
2 of 55
Its reality, you have to adjust with it. Those who are getting the chance to bid lower than $1 are probably new to odesk, they still have to go long way to build up their profile. Might be that's why they are able to bid lower than $1. But today or tomorrow they will also be bounded with the rate restriction. Don't run in the race of low rate. If you do, you will never find the ending of this race. You have to go down and down. I am not a hardcore freelancer! I am more or less likely you. While you work at $1 for 8 hours a day you will get $8 for 8 hours! But if your rate is $4 you will get same amount only in two hours! don't you think its better oppurtunity? Yes you will not get all the jobs at that rate, you really don't need to get all of them. One or two high rated jobs is sufficient for you. You can deliver high quality work. You can work with full concentration and without taking the burden of work. You can enjoy your work. You can take the real taste of freelancing. SO, plase don't worry. Odesk is the best freelancing market place. What they done on rate restriction is not to create a burden on the freelancers, ofcourse there is something good.
Ace Contributor
Alexander N Member Since: Sep 14, 2013
3 of 55
Bad thing? Well, for those who learn nothing, sell themselves off as willing slaves and have no dignity, it is. From my point of view, implementation of minimum hourly rate is one of the best things oDesk ever did. Slowly but surely, it will make a working atmosphere more healthy and will also be great for tidying up the place.
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
4 of 55
Yes there should be a minimum rate, but it should apply equally to all freelancers. It is unfair that some can apply at $1 and others $4.44. All that oDesk is achieving is cutting off the freelancers with the higher minimum. I don't know if oDesk has changed the way of deciding what minimum a freelancer is allowed, but from previous posts it is obvious that there is no logical formula involved. Some long term, highly rated freelancers have a lower minimum than newbies.
matthew i Member Since: Dec 11, 2010
5 of 55
Hmm, It depends on where they're located. If 8 dollars is equivalent to what can be bought with $100 in the US, than yes, no reason they should make their rate higher. While 8 dollars per day is literally nothing for many, in some places it can buy ALOT of things. and YES that is a factor.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
6 of 55
"8 dollars per day is literally nothing " How can that be? Figuratively, maybe... Smiley Tongue
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
7 of 55
for making me laugh out loud.
Ace Contributor
Julie S Member Since: Mar 27, 2009
8 of 55
[quote=matthew i.]Hmm, It depends on where they're located. If 8 dollars is equivalent to what can be bought with $100 in the US, than yes, no reason they should make their rate higher. While 8 dollars per day is literally nothing for many, in some places it can buy ALOT of things. and YES that is a factor.[/quote] Well Matthew, if you can pass this piece of wisdom back onto some employers in America (and some elsewhere) I would be delighted. The last time I was told to upgrade my computer equipment and rummage around with foreign exchange, I lost a shoe...
matthew i Member Since: Dec 11, 2010
9 of 55
Nothing but contractors replying... Enough said.
Ace Contributor
Julie S Member Since: Mar 27, 2009
10 of 55
Well yes Matthew, what do you expect? We, as freelancers (formerly known as independent contractors) do expect that our clients can do some basic math. Out here in the (most likely former) colonies, it is 'kinda' a requirement.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS