cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Julie, I'll be clear. You are

Ace Contributor
Julie S Member Since: Mar 27, 2009
21 of 55
OK, I'll be clear Matthew $8 does not buy me a computer. It does not make sense. No matter where I live in the world. I am forced to buy a computer from America. And no, they do not charge $8 for a computer. They actually charge me MORE than they charge you. .....Hence my Skepticism at your maths.
Highlighted
matthew i Member Since: Dec 11, 2010
22 of 55
Julie, I'll be clear. You are in South Africa. My posts states there are places in the world that 8 dollars may very well be equal in terms of value to $100 dollars in the U.S. I did not mention anything about your specific location. If you want an example; In Manilla, Philippines 3 BR average apartment 10k pesos-30k per month (right outside the city) That's about $200-$700 USD per month. In New York City, you couldn't find a box for that price and certainly not a 3 BR. Nothing wrong with my math, cost of living, prices of goods in other countries can be found online. Luckily we know people in many of these places so we have a real good idea about it. The job market and salaries don't take into account luxuries dear. A large screen TV isn't a necessity and no they don't include this for cost of living.
Robin C Member Since: Jan 10, 2012
23 of 55
Do you realize that your logic (that freelancers must charge rates that are comparable to those in their locale and no greater) has the effect of binding people to their economic situation and does not allow for them to rise above or explore the world. It equates to chains that bind them.
24 of 55
What the hell are you talking about? If you want to be some sort of humanitarian, go work for UNICEF. People live fine on those salaries there, we know people there that do. Cut the BS please. Software engineer for example; their rent is about 25% of their salary, on par with just about every other place on earth including the U.S Obviously just like here in the US and elsewhere, bigger homes = more money.
Ace Contributor
Nicole H Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
25 of 55
Matthew-I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area and I have lived in Egypt for years. In short, I'd say your posts in this thread are mostly wrong and you don't know what you are talking about. And everyone else is right. Get outside the US and try living in one of those "low" cost of living countries before you start to spout off about wages being determined by cost of living. They simply are not. There are people here living 5-6 people in a room that they pay $15 a month for, sharing one cold water tap with 60 people, having no bathroom or even kitchen, with rats running around everywhere. Sure that's cheap, but the salaries they get are so piddling they can't afford anymore than that. Is that salaries matched with cost of living? Is that even...living?
26 of 55
Of course you'd day that, you're all contractors! I lived outside the US and travel quite often. We know plenty of people in these places. We have friends and employees in these places. They have no issue living on the salary in their country. The problem is, people are expecting to be paid like doctors in some of these places for being a virtual assistant... Get real.
Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
27 of 55
This troll keeps mentioning "we" I wonder how long he has been out of medications to be as delusional as an escaped lunatic. No lovin on v-day makes Mattie a spiteful boy Smiley Happy

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
28 of 55
After a little research, I'm assuming you have lived in Bangladesh and spend a lot of time in the Mid-West(?)
Ace Contributor
Nicole H Member Since: Nov 15, 2007
29 of 55
I'm married to a doctor from Egypt. Paid like a doctor for being a virtual assistant...That is so funny...Starting wage for new doctors working for the government in this country is $30 a month...So how many cents a day would you say a new virtual assistant should get? I may be a contractor but first and foremost I am a human being that doesn't like to see people treated unjustly and suffer. What about you?
Ace Contributor
Julie S Member Since: Mar 27, 2009
30 of 55
[quote=matthew i.]Julie, I'll be clear. You are in South Africa. My posts states there are places in the world that 8 dollars may very well be equal in terms of value to $100 dollars in the U.S. I did not mention anything about your specific location. If you want an example; In Manilla, Philippines 3 BR average apartment 10k pesos-30k per month (right outside the city) That's about $200-$700 USD per month. In New York City, you couldn't find a box for that price and certainly not a 3 BR. Nothing wrong with my math, cost of living, prices of goods in other countries can be found online. Luckily we know people in many of these places so we have a real good idea about it. The job market and salaries don't take into account luxuries dear. A large screen TV isn't a necessity and no they don't include this for cost of living.[/quote] Sorry Matthew, I don't see any discounts on a computer or software -- it is what your workers need is it not to do their work? For you? Is it not? I don't see a TV doing any work for you? You can explain all you like, I sit on the trading barriers.... I feel every dollar (with pain), I don't need to count.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS