cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

minimum hourly rate, Very Very BAD thing on oDesk

Community Guru
Reynaldo M Member Since: Aug 4, 2012
41 of 55
[quote=matthew i.]There are places that costs 50K per month rent here in NYC. Does that mean a business employing a web designer needs to pay them 200k per month?[/quote] The only difference between your example and mine is the setting(location). Logic still the same. Your point is one should not charge or be paid more than the "Published Payscale" and be relative to the cost of living. Cost of living in NYC $50k so it is wrong to charge or get paid $200k Cost of living in Manila Philippines $1000 so going by the same logic its wrong or get paid $4000. Same Ratio right? We're talking of having the same Expertise, same position (ex. web developer) right? Because as you have pointed out "Worldwide Payscale". Right? We are on the same page? Now following that line of thought, So for example, we are both Web Developer (with the same credentials) working for the same company and your based in NY Branch and Me based in Manila and we are both paid (again just for realistic example) by the company $10,000. In line with your reasoning and logic, the company is wrong in compensating us equally because I am based in Manila and the Worldwide payscale say so and cost of living in Manila is way lower. Even if we both crunch out the same output, same bottom line or achieved the same goal. So If the company decide to assign you to their Manila branch, you would be more than happy to received a pay cut since as you have amply pointed out, the "Worldwide Payscale" should be followed. That be the case, all U,S and European based companies who assigned and transferred their Americans and European personnel to Manila, Philippines are all making a grave business mistake, since they retained their Salaries plus given free board and lodging, because cost of living is lower and the worldwide payscale say so. Not to mention some local (Manila based) personnel are paid the same as their U.S or European counterparts. It is really appalling and disgusting of these companies. Really an Injustice. [quote=matthew i.]Again, you don't live beyond your means. [/quote] I got confuse here? doesn't this mean "someone who is living a celebrity lifestyle with an income of a regular working man? Opposite of what being discussed?
Russell C Member Since: Jan 25, 2014
42 of 55
The companies that you mention generally set a fixed price for their product, regardless of where the purchaser is located. The reason is because they are selling a value. The value of their product generally does not change based on where you are. If for some reason your location prevents you from taking full advantage of the product, it does not change the price they charge because the value does not change, even if you are not able to make full use of the products value. The reason this is relevant is because you are trying to be in two places at the same time. You are trying to say the VALUE of what you are receiving is based on its point of origin. The value to you is based on where the product or service is delivered. In essence what you are saying is that people have no right to change. Perhaps a person is charging more than average for their location because they are setting themselves up to move to a new location. Perhaps they are charging more than average for their location because their work is not being purchased locally. It does not make sense to focus on WHAT someone charges without looking at why they charge such.
matthew i Member Since: Dec 11, 2010
43 of 55
The price of a T.V in your town is not relevant to salaries paid. The market has been establish sir, please go read the Wall Street Journal. Salaries are already published and set worldwide. No you can't hide this or change this. No you can't compare this to the price of an electronic item. You're trying real hard and reaching for straws at this point.
Ace Contributor
Julie S Member Since: Mar 27, 2009
44 of 55
[quote=matthew i.]The price of a T.V in your town is not relevant to salaries paid. The market has been establish sir, please go read the Wall Street Journal. Salaries are already published and set worldwide. No you can't hide this or change this. No you can't compare this to the price of an electronic item. You're trying real hard and reaching for straws at this point.[/quote] No Matthew, you are not employing anyone and your supposed 'salaries' do not make sense. You are contracting, based on what you are saying here in the forums and the figures you are quoting, And your 'quoting' of Wall Street employee salary rates blah blah blah are not viable. Simple. If you want to be an Employer, please get out your calculator and start behaving like one.
45 of 55
You clearly don't have any knowledge of how the business world operates. You're little imaginary Odesk world is not reality.
Community Guru
Mandy D Member Since: Jul 29, 2013
46 of 55
Matthew must be livid ... you are actually getting jobs at your outrageous hourly fee. And 5 Star ratings. Tut-tut, those "employers" (dare I use the word clients) should be executed. You are upsetting the world economy Julie. Stop it now!
Shahinul I Member Since: Dec 5, 2015
47 of 55

I totally Agree. 

Gabriele D Member Since: Jan 31, 2014
48 of 55
I didn't read all the comments, but minimum wage of $4.44, lol!! That doesn't make any difference to me. I am offering a professional service which is mostly offered by people in western countries, I ask for $15 ph and for me that isn't even a living wage. Still clients (western) expect to pay so little. And every time I do get a job I am annoyed in the end because I worked for next to nothing. Its a downward spiral. So, what I do on here can only be a practice run for me until I get a formal qualification...
49 of 55
If people in your country have no issue living on the wages and salaries offered for a similar position, you shouldn't have any issues either. People from all over the world work and live just fine from the salaries paid in their countries for the same job title they use on Odesk. Only contractors here think that is somehow underpaid, for obvious reasons.
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
50 of 55
Been busy all day. Just looked in. Groundhog day. He's still at it...
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS