cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

money automatically refunded ?

Highlighted
Akash P Member Since: Apr 22, 2018
1 of 23

hello, I am new on upwork and I worked for the client for 7 hours of manual time everything went well he give 5 stars reviews and I ended the contract. I get money in pending but today I received an email of refund. I didn't even initiate it nor client

I am worried I worked hard for that 56$ (after 20% upwork commision, before it is 70$)  can someone help please and check what happened with my pending money?

Thank You!

Akash

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 23

@Akash P wrote:

hello, I am new on upwork and I worked for the client for 7 hours of manual time everything went well he give 5 stars reviews and I ended the contract. I get money in pending but today I received an email of refund. I didn't even initiate it nor client

The client failed to pay for your hours or the owner of the payment method filed a chargeback, and because your hours were manual time you were not protected and the money reversed.

The client can fix the problem with their payment method and pay you a bonus. Otherwise the money is gone.

Highlighted
3 of 23

no, I think he paid and he didn't revert back. Smiley Sad can any moderator or upwork staff member can help me and check what happened??

Highlighted
Community Guru
Elba A Member Since: Feb 28, 2017
4 of 23

@Akash P wrote:

no, I think he paid and he didn't revert back. Smiley Sad can any moderator or upwork staff member can help me and check what happened??

Again: the client fails to pay (whatever reason), and manual hours are not protected. He didn't need to revert anything back if his card failed.

Highlighted
Sergey Z Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 23

Hi Elba,

Again: the client fails to pay (whatever reason), and manual hours are not protected. He didn't need to revert anything back if his card failed.

Why does UpWork notify about the payment fail so late? Even after several days of review week? The UpWork should immediately report freelancer about the payment fails, just because the manual hours are not protected and this is the freelancer's right to stop working immediately.

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 23

@Akash P wrote:

no, I think he paid

No, dear, he didn't.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 23

Hi Akash,

Petra and Elba are correct. Hours may be reversed when the client fails to pay for them and they are not covered by Upwork Hourly Protection. The team will be sending you a notification with more information about the reversal. In the future, please make sure you track your hours using Upwork Desktop App properly if you'd like to benefit from Upwork Payment Protection.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
8 of 23

so what I can do now to get paid back?

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 23

@Akash P wrote:

Absolutely nothing.

In future use the tracker properly so you are covered if a client fails to pay.

And it is not about being "paid back!" - you were never paid in the first place.

IF (!!!) the client fixes their issue they can issue a bonus. But it doesn't happen that often.

Highlighted
Sergey Z Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
10 of 23

Petra R wrote:

@Akash P wrote:

Absolutely nothing.

In future use the tracker properly so you are covered if a client fails to pay.

Petra, you're not covered using the time tracker at all: the proof.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS