🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: money not supposed to be paid
Page options
paul_moliken
Community Member

money not supposed to be paid

here is a notification that the account of one client I worked for has been suspended. I have not done work for him for many months, but today I see a new payment has been made, but I HAVE NOT DONE ANY WORK FOR HIM!! I need to get this straightened out. HOW?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Paul,

You can open the contract for the "My Jobs" tab or the notification section > Click the Three Dots > Click End Contract. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thank you for reporting this Paul,

Could you please send me a PM with the Contract ID/Title or the client name so that I can check this and assist you further? 

~ Goran
Upwork

I received this Feb 15

Your
contract 21345421
with **Edited for community guidelines**  was temporarily suspended. You will be notified as soon as the problem is resolved.

today I see this, but i have done no work for him in a long while

Pending Service Fee Service Fee - Salary - Ref ID 221615658 '' ($7.00)
Pending
Pending Salary Invoice for weekly payment (02/04/2019 - 02/10/2019) '' $35.00
Pending

Hi Paul,

Looks like you had a recurring payment set up for your contract. Unfortunately, Upwork couldn't charge the client's payment and that's why the transaction still is showing as Pending.

You can communicate with the client and ask them if any work still needs to be done going forward. Also, discuss with them any outstanding payments. If the client doesn't reply to any of your requests, you may consider closing the contract by yourself.

~ Bojan
Upwork

This is not a recurring payment as per contract; I do not send in a
timesheet for the week, but the payment showed up, EVEN DESPITE the
quotation I posted that showed that "contract 21345421 WAS TEMPORARILY
SUSPENDED"!
for some reason, I am receiving money for work I have not done on a
contract that's suspended

Paul M wrote:
This is not a recurring payment as per contract;

Better check your transaction history. You may well find this was paid every week since the contract was created...

Paul M wrote:

I received this Feb 15

Your
contract 21345421
with **Edited for community guidelines**  was temporarily suspended. You will be notified as soon as the problem is resolved.

today I see this, but i have done no work for him in a long while

PendingService FeeService Fee - Salary - Ref ID 221615658''($7.00)
Pending
PendingSalaryInvoice for weekly payment (02/04/2019 - 02/10/2019)''$35.00
Pending

This will have been paid every week since the contract was started.... every. single. week.

Didn't you notice?

Petra, 

I have not been paid every week, not at all at all. This is the first time since my work for the gentleman was completed. The timesheet states that I have not worked for this client for over two months. The contract is "suspended" by Upwork, and the person does not respond to my message. The new amount appeared just now. This is an Upwork problem they need to clear up.How do I get this rectified???

Hi Paul,

The system is working as designed and I'd like to try and clarify it here. The contract was originally set up by your client and accepted by yourself with one hour weekly limit for logged hours AND a Recurring Weekly Payment ("Salary.") You can see that in the contract terms here:

Screenshot_7.png

Weekly Payment is billed to the client every week while the contract is active regardless if you log time or not. On this contract the client was being billed for this recurring Weekly Payment from the moment the contract started and until the client failed to pay Invoice for weekly payment (02/04/2019 - 02/10/2019.) When that happened, the contract was put on hold and no more weekly payments were billed to the client. However, that last outstanding invoice is still showing in your Transaction History. You can see all the payments by the client by changing the date range in your Transaction History and sorting transactions by Client.

If you aren't planning to do any work on the contract, please check with the client and consider closing the contract.

~ Valeria
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

H
Paul M wrote:

here is a notification that the account of one client I worked for has been suspended. I have not done work for him for many months, but today I see a new payment has been made, but I HAVE NOT DONE ANY WORK FOR HIM!! I need to get this straightened out. HOW?

Hourly contract? Chances are you logged work on the wrong contract?

tlbp
Community Member

Could the client have just initiated the weekly salary on February 4? 

OP, a "salary" payment is one that is made automatically each week regardless of whether you record billable hours or not. So, it would normally appear even if you had not done any work.

The mystery here is why it appeared on February 4. Was that the first week of your contract with the client?

If so, the salary was charged to the client pursuant to the contract he created and may have not been charged subsequently because the contract was paused. 

Tonya, I have had no contact with client since his last message Jan 4. He has not replied to any of MY messages since. I don't know what he might have done, but I do kbnow Upwork suspended the contract a while ago, which is still the status, so I canot understand why I got more money. I wrote client asking him on more than one occassion to end the contract. No response.

Paul M wrote:

Tonya, I have had no contact with client since his last message Jan 4.

So why don't you close the contract?

cause it has been suspendedd by Upwork. If closing it will stop the nonsense, sure.

PLEASE help. Now Upwork informs me that the suspended contract has been reinstituted and I can start collecting hourly pay. I DON'T WANT THE MONEY. I'M NOT WORKING FOR THIS PERSON. I cannot cancel the contract because I cannot locate the way to do so.

umm so just close the contract? bro, it's a pretty easy fix.

Hi Paul,

You can open the contract for the "My Jobs" tab or the notification section > Click the Three Dots > Click End Contract. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Thank you immensely for the clear directions, Goran V.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths