🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » monthly salary offer by client?
Page options
django_expert
Community Member

monthly salary offer by client?

I received a new job invitation and the client asked me to do work for him on a monthly basis salary.

is it a scam or real? the client looks legitimate and he already have spent over $1k.

I am just curious. Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
4d8bb7ef
Community Member

Hi Abubakar,

I've never been hired monthly via Upwork, but I'd suggest you to:
1. Check clients' review/rating to avoid scam. I always do this especially when the job posted seems legit/too good to be true.
2. If it's a fixed price contract, best to split it into different milestone. So just in case something happens in the middle of the contract, you still get paid for the works you have done.

3. Personally, if the price seems very high/promising (beyond average clients for the same job), I'd probably offer them a hourly contract instead.

Hope that helps. Thanks 🙂 

I was also thinking to offer him milestones. so you mean to say that I should not work on monthly basis. right?

prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork lets clients hire using an hourly contract. And using a fixed-price contract. There is no "monthly salary" option.

So if a client asks to do that, it sounds like a scheme. A freelancer should be cautious about such a thing. This could lead to bit getting paid at all.

Even if a client paid using a bonus payment in advance... those payments are not protected. If a client was using a fraudulent credit card payment, then the freelancer would end up with no pay.

The safest way to work is using an hourly contract while following Payment Protection rules.

yes, this is the best solution. thanks for your guidance.

chillynguyen
Community Member

Maybe you could ask him to set the hourly limit that match your "monthly salary". For example, if your monthly salary is 8000$ and your hourly rate is 100$, a weekly salary should be 2000$, and the weekly time limit is 20 hours.

However, I haven't taken any job under "monthly salary" under Upwork platform though.

yes, you are right. thanks for your answer.

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Have you considered using the "Weekly payment" option: https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063668-Get-Paid-for-Hourly-Contracts

I am aware of it. will use it. as it is more secure feature to charge the clients for the work I do

c0954551
Community Member

Same here. The client asked me to do work for him on a monthly salary basis. The fixed monthly salary is $1400. Is it legit or not? I'm new in the freelancing industry. How can I ensure that I get paid and safe from getting scams

elisa_b
Community Member

Start by reading this: Top Red Flags for Scams: From Community Membe... - Upwork Community

On a side note: there are only 2 lines of description in your profile, no previous work history on Upwork, and no native language specified. I doubt a genuine client would offer you $1400/month. Be careful.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members