Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

multiple account on one same Laptop

mrsingh260991
Davinder S Member Since: Feb 23, 2018
1 of 12

Hi Upwork Team ,

I have a one laptop .. i am working on Upwork at this laptop as well . now my wife and my brother wants to work on Upwork also .
So my question is that ,,
1. Can I make the multiple account on one same Laptop?
2. And If yes , Then Can i open the all acount in one same laptop .. just for staying show online to buyers...
for exp . my account is open in chrome ,my wife's account is open in mozila , and my brother's account is open in other browser .....

Please let me know.. Can i do this or not ,....
if not then how can i do this ...
because they are really wants to work on Upwork,

Thanks And Regards ,
Davinder Singh

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
2 of 12

Davinder S wrote:

Hi Upwork Team ,

I have a one laptop .. i am working on Upwork at this laptop as well . now my wife and my brother wants to work on Upwork also .
So my question is that ,,
1. Can I make the multiple account on one same Laptop?
2. And If yes , Then Can i open the all acount in one same laptop .. just for staying show online to buyers...
for exp . my account is open in chrome ,my wife's account is open in mozila , and my brother's account is open in other browser .....

Please let me know.. Can i do this or not ,....
if not then how can i do this ...
because they are really wants to work on Upwork,

Thanks And Regards ,
Davinder Singh

How are you planning to share a laptop between three of you to complete work? 

luiggi_rosado
Luiggi R Moderator Member Since: Jul 3, 2020
3 of 12

Hi Davinder,

There is no problem with sharing your laptop with your wife and brother. However, you will not be able to work on the same laptop at the same time. As a reminder, you should not share your login information and accounts with any relatives, as this is a serious violation of the Upwork Terms of Service. If the team finds any red flags, they'll reach out.

Thank you.

~ Luiggi

Untitled
filip_knezevic
Community Guru
Filip K Member Since: May 22, 2017
4 of 12

This just feels wrong for many reasons.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
5 of 12

3 people on one laptop? Sounds like a recipe for disaster. On so many levels. 

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
6 of 12

Upwork has frequently said that it's OK for freelancers to share a laptop, as long as only one of them is logged in at a time.

Davinder raises a possibility that I haven't seen mentioned before--each freelancer using a different browser. I'm not sure about this, but I think each browser could remain logged in to a different account, so the computer could be logged in to all 3 accounts at the same time. Would that be a problem? Or maybe it would be an advantage, as sticking to different browsers would stop them accidentally using each other's accounts.

Anyway, Davinder, if you want to do hourly jobs and use the time tracker, you would have to use the Upwork app, and not just use browsers. I think the best thing would be for each freelancer to use a different Windows user account with their own Windows login.

filip_knezevic
Community Guru
Filip K Member Since: May 22, 2017
7 of 12

Even if three accounts coexist on the same PC, you could only log time for one at a given time. 

Meaning, if you and your wife both have one job each, you would need to take turns.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
martina_plaschka
Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
8 of 12

Richard W wrote:

Upwork has frequently said that it's OK for freelancers to share a laptop, as long as only one of them is logged in at a time.

Davinder raises a possibility that I haven't seen mentioned before--each freelancer using a different browser. I'm not sure about this, but I think each browser could remain logged in to a different account, so the computer could be logged in to all 3 accounts at the same time. Would that be a problem? Or maybe it would be an advantage, as sticking to different browsers would stop them accidentally using each other's accounts.

Anyway, Davinder, if you want to do hourly jobs and use the time tracker, you would have to use the Upwork app, and not just use browsers. I think the best thing would be for each freelancer to use a different Windows user account with their own Windows login.

I want to see them scramble for room in front of that poor laptop when they all have their profiles open at the same time. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 12

Besides the obvious thing here we all can't mention, probably best to never share a laptop even when it really *is* legit. Too many things can happen.

a_lipsey
Community Guru
Amanda L Member Since: Jan 23, 2018
10 of 12

My point is: what are you going to do when you all three have deadlines and all three need to use the time tracker to log hours?  ALSO, seems highly suspicious , to me, of one person trying to run three accounts.  That could raise red flags to Upwork. So I would be careful about this.  

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS