🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » my client threatens to give the worst feedbac...
Page options
arctun
Community Member

my client threatens to give the worst feedback if I receive payment.

Hi, I delivered my work on time and i did everything written in the contract. He refuses by saying why i did not do job that wat not written in the contract.

Now, my client is constantly threatening. expects me to give up, saying I will give bad feedback if you get paid.

He said 'OK, you want the payment you will get it. But you realize you will get worst possible feedback. Do you agree?'

This behavior must be contrary to the upwork rules. I wrote help support but no one responds for 2 days.

I have to give up charging for not giving the worst feedback. This is unfair.

Can you help me ?

6 REPLIES 6
varungs
Community Member

It's a freelancer's fate to eventually meet a terrible client. In the interest of transparency, Upwork usually won't meddle with a client's feedback even if it is blatantly unreasonable. However, there are some decent protections in place even if one client tries to screw you over.

• Your JSS won't be affected by clients who have regularly been flagged as unreasonable
  • If you consistently prove yourself to be an asset to Upwork, you'll be given the ability to remove the feedback from your profile

I do however think it's worth reporting the client to Upwork, since it does seem like they are engaging in borderline blackmail/extortion. They'll probably remove the client from the platform.

yitwail
Community Member

Ismail, attempting to coerce another User by threatening to give negative feedback is prohibited by Upwork Terms of Use: https://www.upwork.com/legal#prohibitedsite 

So, if the client threatened you in Upwork messaging, you could report it to Customer Service or if it's a fixed price job and the client isn't approving the milestone, you could dispute that, as explained here, https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068528-Dispute-Non-Release-of-a-Milestone-Payment and show the mediator the threatening message. 

Hi John,

I have to wait 14 days fot that  https: // support 

and continue to insult and threaten me for 14 days. what can be done for it. I do not know. or make my payment and make the threat and give me a bad comment. I have reported these messages but have not received results yet.

I'm new to this site. He knows that. And that's why he thinks he can do anything. upwork reputation is my greatest hope of protecting me. otherwise many freelancers will disappear before they can show their skills.

arctun
Community Member

Hi Varun,

I made my application and I'm waiting for review. I hope it happens like you said.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ismail, 

I'm sorry to learn about your experience with your client. I have followed with the team handling your ticket so that they can assist you further with your concern. 

~ Avery
Upwork
arctun
Community Member

Hi Avery,

Thank you very much for your interest and information. it is important for me to get the payment I deserve but at the same time I am threatened that I will receive the worst comment if I receive the payment. the client expects me to give up pn this. I have reported to the customer service everything abput the contract and of course insulte message. what can you do about it? 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members