Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with client

budakinga
Kinga B Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
1 of 9

Hi,

I accepted an internet research/data entry work. We agreed with the client in the terms and payments. Client has created a milestone, I started working so far everything was ok.

As I was half way through the work clients informs me that he has made some changes in the excel sheet and I have to rewrite the gathered data and that he requires additional info’s and of course he is not willing to pay additional sum for the newly required data’s. I complied because I didn't want to risk a bad review and wanted to be over with this work. I completed the work and have submitted it for approval. Client says he is not able to release the milestone, he gets an error message. 

As I am waiting for the client to release the first milestone and to create the second milestone the client informs me that he wants to pay less for the same work. Neither the excel sheet nor the payment isn't what we agreed on in the first place. What can I do? If I end the contract my JSS will drop and probably client would also give me a bad review. But can I be obliged to work further under changed conditions and payment? 

I would pretty much appreciate the advices on this issue. 

Thanks in advance. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 9

You want advice?

The client is out of line.

As far as I'm concerned...

He can:

a) let you complete the project EXACTLY as originally agreed, with no deviation

or

b) pay you for your time to make any changes

or

c) you're done with him

When a client hires a freelancer, it is not indentured servitude.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
3 of 9

Here is a suggested note which you could adapt as you see fit:

"John:

Thank you for your notes about the project. I'm sorry to hear you were having trouble releasing payment. I suggest you contact Upwork Customer Support for help or (even better) post your questions about this in the forum at community.upwork.com.

"After you have released payment for all the work that I have done so far, according to our original agreement, then I will be able to discuss what we can do next. At this point, all I can do is wait for payment to be released, as Upwork won't let me continue working on the project until I have been paid for the work that has already been done. If you would prefer to not pay at all, I will respect that decision and not dispute it. That would mean that the work I did belongs to me, and I would be able to post it in my portfolio."

budakinga
4 of 9

🙂 thank you for your advice. I am more concerned because I don't see how I can get out of this situation without affecting my JSS, because the client thinks that he can change the terms. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
5 of 9

Kinga:

Your profile seems to be private, so I can't offer specific advice based on your work history.

But after a certain point, a freelancer has so many jobs already completed, that a single job with not-so-good feedback is not going to have any appreciable impact on your Job Success Score.

I don't know if you're at that point yet or not.

You CAN simply close the contract yourself and refund any money already paid to you on the contract, and that will COMPLETELY PREVENT any feedback from appearing on your profile page. But that will not prevent feedback and the outcome of this contract (including private feedback) from affecting your JSS.

budakinga
6 of 9

I am relatively new on the site, I have completed a few projects already and have 5 star feedback at all of them. I work hard in order to get the top rated status and it anoyes me if a client like this can delay me in achieving it.

budakinga
7 of 9

Hi,

I accepted an internet research/data entry work. We agreed with the client in the terms and payments. Client has created a milestone, I started working so far everything was ok.

As I was half way through the work clients informs me that he has made some changes in the excel sheet and I have to rewrite the gathered data and that he requires additional info’s and of course he is not willing to pay additional sum for the newly required data’s. I complied because I didn't want to risk a bad review and wanted to be over with this work. I completed the work and have submitted it for approval. Client says he is not able to release the milestone, he gets an error message. 

As I am waiting for the client to release the first milestone and to create the second milestone the client informs me that he wants to pay less for the same work. Neither the excel sheet nor the payment isn't what we agreed on in the first place. What can I do? If I end the contract my JSS will drop and probably client would also give me a bad review. But can I be obliged to work further under changed conditions and payment? 

I would pretty much appreciate the advices on this issue. 

Thanks in advance. 

tta192
Community Guru
Andrei T Member Since: Aug 30, 2016
8 of 9

Ask many details about the 'error message' and work with them until you can either reproduce it or it 'disappears'(they 'magically' stop getting the error). Ask for screenshots; offer to assist remotely, etc. Apart from correcting this ‘error’, do not deliver any more work until you receive payment for the first milestone.

Make sure to send the completed work for the first milestone THROUGH THE UPWORK PLATFORM, and use the 'request payment' function.
Then ask the client to create an additional milestone for whatever modifications are needed. Be very clear and explain to them that you have completed the initial requirements PLUS a bunch of extras, so you need to move forward to a new milestone.

It's entirely your decision whether to accept or not to offer them a discount; but this decision should NOT be made based on the fear of getting a bad review! Just ignore that; just make sure YOU give them an honest review at the end of the contract, so that other freelancers know what they are getting into. 

budakinga
9 of 9

Thank you for the reply. I have submitted the work through upwork so I am not that concerned regarding the milestone payment, I would like to end my contract...

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS