cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help

carla-ford
Carla F Member Since: Oct 27, 2014
1 of 40
Hi Freelancers I'm new to odesk and not really sure how this all works yet but I have a situation that just happened to me yesterday and I;m really worried if I am being scammed. I got an email from a potential client wanting to interview with me. I contacted her and she sent back a reply for me to contact via IM on Yahoo. I got on IM and contacted her and we did a interview. At the end of the interview she told me to hold while she sends the interview on to her supervisor well she comes back and says the company wants to go ahead and hire me. She wanted me to get back on IM at 8am my time today which I did. She told me that they would be sending me a check thru UPS. She said the check would be for buying equipment that I would need to work with them and to set up my office with. Today her supervisor emailed me a Employment Offer Agreement which I had to sign and email back. I started thinking about it because I knew that this wasn't what Odesk said would happen when I started getting offers. I contacted Odesk and told them what I have told you and they said it was against their policy to get hired outside of the company or to receive money outside of Odesk. What I'm asking is if this has happened to anybody else and if this could be a scam? Oh and the amount they are paying me is way more than I had on my profile. I'm really worried and just need some feedback!
katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 40
Welcome to oDesk, This is a well known scam, and they prey on new freelancers. Please take the time to read through the TOS. Good rule of thumb, payment is never allowed outside of the oDesk system. You can get you account ban if you accept payment outside of the platform. If a client ever offers you a check or PayPal, just politely tell them that you cannot accept payment outside of the platform, and they need to verify the payment method through oDesk. Some new clients are unaware of this and will comply, but this particular posting is a scam. If you ever have a question just ask. Welcome!!! Smiley Happy PS-Please report the project posting to Customer Service so they can take the appropriate action.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

View solution in original post

g_nembhard
Community Guru
Gillian Michele N Member Since: Mar 15, 2012
3 of 40

Run for the hills!

It's a sure scam. Some clients do ask you to purchase things for them (some of my clients do), but all transactions should go through oDesk. There's never a reason for someone to send you a check.

I hope that you manage to find something else.

sparksadmin
SueAnn S Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
4 of 40

Well, she got me hook line and sinker too.  But I advised her to go through oDesk or Paypal, that I would not provide any direct deposit information to my personal account.

She seems to be moving right along though - telling me this morning I too have a check in route, even though I advised her again to go through oDesk to send it to PayPal.

I'm glad I found you this morning.

SueAnn S

sparksadmin
SueAnn S Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
5 of 40

I tried to report this interview invitation, but cannot seem to find the button I once saw before staring "report".  The name of the person on the job posting is different from "Mrs. Washington".

g_nembhard
Community Guru
6 of 40

Hi SueAnn,

If you can find the original post, there should be a 'flag as inappropriate' tab at the top of the ad.

welod
Welhelmina O Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
7 of 40

Hi Gillian,

If I click on "Flag as inappropriate," will the client know or will it be reflected in my profile that I had flagged a client?

Something happened yesterday and I should have followed my guts. There was a job post on transcription. I'm sure I have read this client's feedback but I may have chosen to ignore its not-so-good record because of the high payment he is offering. So, my fault.  (Too good to be true.)

Anyway, his ad said he needs our email address and that we have to do a 5 minute test, which I sometimes see on other job postings. He contacted me, sent an audio file in my email and the total "test" he was letting me do was 8 minutes. My guts told me to just say "no" but I noticed his name and it seemed familiar. So I checked my past clients names and saw that I have done work for him last year when I was new. From our messages before, it seemed that he was okay but the feeling was not so good.  But I did it anyway out of respect. (Up to this time, he has not sent any updates.)

This is just a gut feeling on my part, so I may be mistaken. But this might also help other freelancers to be cautious.

This client asked for a 5 minute test, an email address and interviewed a few transcribers. So my feeling is, (and I may be wrong,) he might given us different minutes in the audio file to transcribe because he let me transcribe the last 8 minutes of the audio. Is there any way oDesk can check on this client?

g_nembhard
Community Guru
8 of 40

Hi Welhelmina,

When you flag a job, you're simply letting oDesk know that there's a problem. This shouldn't come back to you in anyway.

If a client wants a test from you they need to pay for your time. Don't do anything for free.

Also, initial contact has to be via the oDesk messaging system. Once an interview has been initiated (an active candidacy), then you can exchange other contact details i.e exchange email addresses etc.

I hope this helps.

Gill

welod
Welhelmina O Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
9 of 40

Yes, thank you Gill. Very helpful.

Regards,

Welmie

g_nembhard
Community Guru
10 of 40