cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help

rwilks54
Ruthie W Member Since: Nov 13, 2014
11 of 40

I received the same mail and contacted the person whose Yahoo ID is **edited for Community Guidelines** then changed to **edited for Community Guidelines**.  She offered the same things and the more I told her to verify payment method she kept saying it was being processed as the company was new to ODesk.  I know it is a scam.  She wanted bank information but told her to send me a check instead as I know that it will never come.  She has already interviewed 38 people as of today. 

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 40

Hi Ruthie,

Please, report the client using the flag option or submitting request to Customer Support so our Team can review and take actions against their account and make sure other freelancers are not affected. And please, do not accepts any checks or payment outside of oDesk.

Thank you!

~ Valeria
Upwork
rwilks54
Ruthie W Member Since: Nov 13, 2014
13 of 40

I have already marked it inappropriate and checked trying to pay outside Odesk.

edwardvelasco
Edward V Member Since: Nov 7, 2014
14 of 40

Flagged the client job posting right away since working or dealing with the client outside oDesk premises is a violation to oDesk policy. I suggest that be patience and I believe if you believe that you are potential and have the guts and talents that you can showcase to some potential clients you might grab that opportunity and tell the world that you are working differently. Then mind you that would be your breakthrough that was based on my own experience. Smiley Happy

kristinemcd
Kristine M Member Since: Nov 20, 2014
15 of 40

I am getting the exact same interview invitation as the initial post of this thread.  They are currently checking with the managers after asking what bank I use.   I am also new to oDesk.

My question is since there are so many scammers on oDesk posing as potential clients - how do you really know who you are dealing with and who may infect your computer, gather too much information during an "interview", etc.?  I want to believe this oDesk work from home opportunity is real, but am beginning to think it is too good to be true (and should run the other way).

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
16 of 40

Basically, look for clients who will pay through oDesk. If they are willing to pay through oDesk, then they are probably not a scammer. If you are being hired for a fixed-price job, get an upfront payment.

It's harder to get an upfront payment now with the new milestone system but you can always ask the client to fund the first milestone and then release it before any work is done. This will be the upfront payment. In theory, the milestones are supposed to protect you but they really don't since the client can still play around with the amount that you are paid.

If a client doesn't want to give you an upfront payment then don't work for them. I demand an upfront payment from all my clients, even clients who are not from oDesk. So far, I have never run into a problem and I've only turned down one job because the client did not want to pay an upfront.

For an hourly job, make sure you use the time tracker and you should be okay. When you start the time tracker, you will be asked to write a memo describing what you are working on. Fill this out and give a bit of description (doesn't have to be too long). I read a post here where a oDesk denied the freelancer the guaranteed hours because the memo wasn't filled out right.

12freelance
Peggy P Member Since: Jan 6, 2015
17 of 40

Thank you for your post.  I was also interviewed by this client through yahoo messenger and this was my first experience with oDesk.  The "client" put a link to their website, asked for me to look through it and when finished let her know. The website looked legit,  I opened another tab to read reviews about the company.  The reviews looked legit as well. So I continued with the interview that took  an hour or so. She then asked what bank I used and how did I wish to be paid-direct depost, check, or... At this point I became suspicious. So while I am interviewing the red flag is waiving. I asked the client if a contract would be sent to oDesk and asked if I would be getting paid through oDesk.  She said "yes" to both questions. The client also said if I were hired, a small amount of money would be deposited to my account for equipment I would need to peform the job, along with an amount to cover shipping costs.  She asked me to hold while she forwarded our inteview to her superior to review to see if I would be qualified for the job.  During this time I searched other sites for reviews which suggested this was a scam.  The client came back  about 15 minutes later informing I had the job and someone from HR would be forwarding me forms to complete.  I disconnected the interview, if it was a legit offer-ooops I missed out, but I knew I would have more regrets if it wasn't legitimate!

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
18 of 40

Peggy:

Um... yeah... totally not a legitimate job. I think you already know that, but just in case there is the tiniest scintilla of a doubt, let me assure you that there was nothing at all legitimate about this. You did the right thing to discontinue contact with this scammer.

You should have no regrets at all..

If you did not do so already, be sure to flag the job application as "inappropriate" and select as the reason "asking for payment outside of oDesk."

(There's a button for that on the job application near the top.)

There IS NO legitimate reason for ANY client to ask you for your bank account information.

EVEN IF a client needs you to purchase something or pay for a fee or use money in any way, the ONLY legitimate way for them to transmit money to you is through oDesk. The oDesk client interface has a way to do exactly that.

It is against oDesk policies for a client to send you money for expenses outside of the oDesk system, even if it is a totally legitimate expense.

(And in reality, there should be very, very few legitimate instances of a client needing to end a contractor any money. Almost always, this indicates a scam. If a client wants to hire somebody to do something on oDesk, they can almost hire somebody who already has the tools needed. Have you ever hired a plumber who came to your house and asked you to buy him a wrench?)

bobbie_s
Bobbie S Member Since: Mar 11, 2015
19 of 40

I had the same thing happen to me, however, they emailed me a copy of the check so that I could deposit it through my mobile bank app. Dummy me, I did it. Now this person on the other side of the IM says to take my debit card and go to Walmart to send money through Money Gram. No way am I doing this.

So I really am not sure what to do at this point. I don't know whose money this is, or if it is even real money. Maybe it isn't even a good check and as soon as I send it out, my bank will then come back saying I owe them $1420.00! Do I call my local police? Do I report it to my bank? Wow, can't believe I fell for this. And like you Carla, I was wondering why I didn't need to go through the steps that Odesk had laid out. Really wish I had listened to my gut when those doubts came creeping into my mind!

kugrin
Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
20 of 40

Bobbie - your best bet is to work with oDesk support and contact your local police department as well as bank. You fell for a well known money laundering scheme, and you violated the oDesk policy by accepting payment outside of oDesk but I am sure they'll help you regardless.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS