Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
21 of 40

LOL.

Bobbie... I hate to break it to you, but, no, this was not real money.

There's nothing inherently wrong with reporting it to the police, but the truth is? They don't want to deal with this.

What you really want to do is go to your bank and tell them right away what happened, and that your realized you deposited a check that is part of a scam. That way you may be able to avoid getting fined by the bank or getting reported to the police by the bank.

If you do nothing? It's only a matter of days, or maybe hours, before the bank realizes that it's a bad check and starts taking action against you. If you spent the money in any way, the bank WOULD go after you for it.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
22 of 40

Hi Bobbie,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're experiencing. Please contact Customer Support asap so they can take a look and advise on the proper course of action. In addition, report the client by clicking the "Flag as inappropriate" link on the their profile or submitting a request to Support, so our team can review and take actions against their account.

Plese note that paying and receiving payment outside oDesk is against our policy and carries a penalty for all parties involved.

Untitled
dsequeira
Donna S Member Since: Oct 5, 2015
23 of 40

OMG, I fell for it and went all the way down. I sent the money using money gram. What do I do now ? I owe that money but I don't have it. What should I do? I am shaking 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
24 of 40

Donna, I am sorry you fell for what is one of the oldest scams on the Internet.

Frankly all you can do now is pay it off.

dsequeira
25 of 40

I don't have a penny to pay that off I am working $3 per hour.  I google everything to find something but it seemed legitimate to me. I talked to the guy on Skype everything was so real. I now owe to Paypal will the police come after me? What should I do ? Again I don't even have a job to pay that off plus I have been scammed. I am victim too, is there any way the law could help me out for being an idiot ?

by the way the guy is registered in Upwork ... Is there any way the police can track him down? I have his phone number and Skype 

thank you 

petra_r
Community Guru
26 of 40

@Donna S wrote:

I don't have a penny to pay that off I am working $3 per hour.  I google everything to find something but it seemed legitimate to me. I talked to the guy on Skype everything was so real. I now owe to Paypal will the police come after me? What should I do ? Again I don't even have a job to pay that off plus I have been scammed. I am victim too, is there any way the law could help me out for being an idiot ?

by the way the guy is registered in Upwork ... Is there any way the police can track him down? I have his phone number and Skype 

thank you 

The guy isn't registered in Upwork. I would bet it does not say "Payment Method verified" against his job posting.

What exactly happened, Donna? And how much money is involved? And in which country are you? The phone number you have is likely virtual. Have you run a Skype resolver with his skype ID to check for his real location?

dsequeira
27 of 40

I am an ignorant. My friend introduced me to this web site (Upwork ) so that I could make some extra money for college. I never tought I could be scammed. 

This guy **Edited for Community Guidelines**told me that he need a accountant/assistant to handle some transactions since he is in Nigeria and didn't have a branch in USA. I heard Nigeria and I tought scam, so I called the guy on Skype and he was telling me he has branches in Canada and Nigeria that scams do exist but not everybody does it and this and that (I am an idiot). I google **Edited for Community Guidelines** and some webs came up that he sells phones, so I was an actual seller. 

He he was gunna sell some computer things and I made the invoice for $2400 I got the money on paypal and keep 8% commission then send to him the rest using money gram . But I got scared, so I told him that I didn't want to work for him anymore. That people looked at me weirdly like I was doing something bad. Next day I checked my paypal and **Edited for Community Guidelines** never sent the merchandise to the other guy, but I don't understand every time I sell on eBay the funds are not available until the merchandise arrives , so I trusted on that. 

This is hos email **Edited for Community Guidelines** I even called him and he called me to verify everything. It was like a real job

I now owe $2400 that I can't pay. I only have $50 with me. I don't even have a job. Will I go to jail? I tought I was working. I am scared because if my family knows what happens t, my boyfriend will break up with me. Too many toughts are running in my head. I can't focus. I don't know what to do? 

What if the police come after me? I am an immigrant. I came to study in USA. They will kick me back to my country. 

I didn't eat. I can sleep. All I have been doing is cry... I am seriously shaking.

petra_r
Community Guru
28 of 40

So you sold goods via your Ebay account which were then (obviously) never sent to the buyer, right?

Yes, PayPal will come after you for the money, and yes, you owe that money. The guy who bought whatever it was paid for it, and you received the money through your PayPal account and took it.

Whether you then spent it on a car or sent it to Nigeria makes absolutely no difference to the fact that you owe every Cent of it to PayPal because PayPal are having to repay the guy who bought the goods from you on your Ebay account and will do everything in their power to get the money back from you.

If you do not have a visa that allows you to work legally in the USA (if you have a student visa for example) you can't work on Upwork anyway, as that would be working illegally. However, you were not working on Upwork in this case, you were going outside Upwork so Upwork cannot protect you either.

I am really sorry this has happened to you but honestly, you were breaking so many rules doing this - Upwork's, Ebay's, PayPal's .... Now all you can do is co-operate with PayPal and Ebay and be honest. But yes, you owe that money. All of it.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 40

Paypal is gonna try to yank that money from your credit card or bank account. 

dsequeira
30 of 40

I am broke. I don't even have a bank account . But will the police come after me? That all I am scared about. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS