Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
31 of 40

You haven't linked a CC or bank account to your Paypal? I suppose it's a good thing at this point, but they are going to kill the paypal account.

Cops won't do crap. Nigeria should have been your red flag, but sometimes it takes a hard lesson like this to understand that the internet is anarchy.

Cops won't do crap. They don't care.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
32 of 40

Hi Donna,

I am sorry to hear you feel for this scam. I have checked the client's account and actions have already been taken against it. Unfortunatly, there isn't much we can do to help you return the money since it wasn't paid through Upwork system. Please, communicate with PayPal customer support to resolve the issue and make sure you never accept any payments outside of Upwork or work without an active contract.

~ Valeria
Upwork
dsequeira
Donna S Member Since: Oct 5, 2015
33 of 40

I am scared the police will come after me... The buyer contacted paypal and sent the email explaining the scam. But what will they do to me? 

The he buyer said he was still talking to **edited for Community Guidelines** the seller, but I don't understand what's going. He told me to call the police, but of I do I will be in jail right away for being an idiot as simple as that. 

I wish so badly I had never taken that job. What action did Upwork take against him? 

immangozi
Anyikwa I Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
34 of 40

Hello Freelancer,

I am new in Upwork.  I submitted for a proposal and fortunately I got a message to get a hiring manager on skype to train me for the job but I have been trying to connect to the hiring manager but it is not going through.  Please what advice are you giving me and what next to do.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
35 of 40

Hi Anyikwa, welcome to Upwork!

While I can't help you with the communication problem you're having with your client, I'd like to clarify a few important points.

If you go to Find Work > Job Applications you will be able to check whether any of your applications were accepted. Applications you see in the "Active Candidacies" section have been accepted and the client would like to discuss the job further or have an interview with you.

Note, however, that the client would have to make an offer and you would need to accept it in order to have an active contract and start working. Don't start working without an active contract which would show in your "My Jobs" tab.

Please note that you're not hired yet for the job in question, so ask your client to award you the job before doing any work on it. If the client asks you to start working without a contract, please contact Customer Support.

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have at tips and warning signs shared in this thread

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Hep Center. I also advise reading the best practice advice shared by other users in following threads:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Untitled
immangozi
Anyikwa I Member Since: Oct 29, 2015
36 of 40

Thanks for the advice.  I really appreciate.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
37 of 40

Generally speaking, I don't think any legitimate client on Upwork is going to recruit contractors on Upwork and require them to undergo unpaid training via Skype or any other means.

I think legitimate clients fall into two categories:

a) I am going to hire contractors who already have the skills needed to do the work I need them to do.

or

b) I have specialized work that needs to be done, and it requires a bit of training to do it. I will hire contractors and pay them for any time they spend undergoing training.

If a client on Upwork wanted me to undergo training prior to me actually getting paid, I would assume that is a scam. I would assume the client is trying to enrich himself by getting me to pay for training which will never result in a paying job, or I would assume that the client is running some kind of phishing scam. At a minimum, this is clearly a cheapskate client whose business model is predicated on questionable practices and who wants to squeeze as much free work out of me as possible. Therefore, this client is a waste of my time.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
38 of 40

I've been offered projects where they want me to train. One guy wanted to give me $300 for a week of training specific for the job but it was an all day thing so not worth it. I let that gig go.  Not interested. I'd rather get paid well for stuff I already know and bang out the work than go through the hassle of training and then learning the ropes. If I wanted to do that, I'd change careers and get a real job.

tyotaruna
susatyo b Member Since: Nov 22, 2015
39 of 40

im beginer i dont know how to start this up work?

help me please?thanks

hbbabiar
Community Leader
HB B Member Since: Aug 9, 2015
40 of 40

@susatyo b wrote:

im beginer i dont know how to start this up work?

help me please?thanks

Hi Susatyo,

If you scroll up a few comments, you see Vladimir's message on 10/29. Click on the links he provided. This is where you need to start. Take the time and read the forum posts, the articles and watch the videos.

Work on improving your profile. Take a look how other freelancers who also illustrate structured their profile. You can use their profiles to get ideas how to improve your own, but DO NOT copy their text! Having a very good profile is critical because that's the first thing a potential client will look at.

There are a lot of great people here who will help you with specific questions. But first you need to read the forum posts that Vladimir linked to above and watch the videos as well. You will find that there is an incredible amount of helpful information on this forum for new freelancers such as yourself. 

If, after you've done that, you still have some questions that weren't addressed, then start a new forum post here and ask us what you need to know.

Good luck!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS