» Forums » Freelancers » need to fix my success score
Page options
filip_silobod
Community Member

need to fix my success score

I just got my success score and it is 50% which is funny becuase it is untrue

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Filip S wrote:

I got 2 five star ratings yesterday and the score hasn't changed..?

It only updates once every 2 weeks, on a Sunday, and the next update will be on the 1st of March.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

You appear to have some misunderstanding about JSS.

It is not "true" or "untrue."  It is a number calculated by a computer algorithm which utilizes various input related to your Upwork contracts.

Specifically, the JSS is a 'big math' system based on Big Data collected across at least a dozen data points, using multiple algorithms.  At least two are involved as one relates to a current score set, another, upon a historical score set.

Upwork spent, by reasonable estimate 100s of thousands of R&D dollars to develop this big math system.  The problem with getting a low JSS means the math is obviously wrong.  The JSS scores that are high and sparkle... are obviously right.  The JSS has been obviously wrong and incredibly right on multiple occasions in my career.  Math is math.

petra_r
Community Member

Filip S wrote:

I just got my success score and it is 50% which is funny becuase it is untrue

You have a 50% JSS because half your ended contracts didn't end as well as they should have done.

One marked you 3 for skills and a 2 for communication and mentions that there was a "miscommunication" over billing... So that contract won't have ended with great private feedback.

It also seems that you had more completed contracts than are showing on your profile. Any contracts that end (or stay open for multiple months) with nothing **EVER** paid and no or poor private feedback will count against you in your JSS calculation. 

So that's why your JSS is 50%

Half your contracts went well, the other half didn't.

No, the only negative feedback was from 1 client with miscommunication and I got 3.8 from them which is ok. I have 2 other ratings with 5 stars. An average of the ratings I got is 4.6 then.

The 2 project that I started months ago but didn't end is because the clients stopped communicating, I'm still waiting for them to communicate back. There is no time limit to those projects or deadlines

Filip S wrote:

The 2 project that I started months ago but didn't end is because the clients stopped communicating, I'm still waiting for them to communicate back. There is no time limit to those projects or deadlines

So a contract or contracts started but you have never been paid anything? That affects the JSS after 2+ months. It does not matter if there is no time limit. Contracts where nothing has (ever) been paid.

Filip S wrote:

An average of the ratings I got is 4.6 then.

Don't work out the average star value, that's entirely irrelevant as far as the JSS is concerned.

Yes the contract started and people haven't responded after and that gives me a negative score? What logic is that? It should give negative score to the employer who is unwilling to reply not me.

"Job Success score" 50% means half of the jobs I got failed. That's what it means for my potential employers

Filip S wrote:

No, the only negative feedback was from 1 client with miscommunication and I got 3.8 from them which is ok. I have 2 other ratings with 5 stars. An average of the ratings I got is 4.6 then.

You know you don't just get to make up your own method for calculating JSS, right? There are hundreds of posts about how JSS is calculated, why not refer to those (or the official Upwork statements on the matter) rather than dreaming up your own calculation? 

re: "Yes the contract started and people haven't responded after and that gives me a negative score? What logic is that? It should give negative score to the employer who is unwilling to reply not me. 'Job Success score' 50% means half of the jobs I got failed. That's what it means for my potential employers"

Okay.

But the fact remains: Your score is lower than you would like it to be now.

Look at the JSS of the other participants in this thread. You will see high JSS scores.

How do you know which of us disagree with you, and which of us agree with you? Maybe I ALSO agree that JSS is illogical. Maybe I agree with ALL of your points. But why, then, do you see some people with high JSS... even though those freelancers may agree with you about JSS being calculated in an illogical way?

Filip S wrote:

It only updates once every 2 weeks, on a Sunday, and the next update will be on the 1st of March.

53a1fe60
Community Member

That's an atrocious response.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members