🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » new in upwork and it's been 6 months of apply...
Page options
Community Member

new in upwork and it's been 6 months of applying proposals with ''0'' result

Hello everyone;

I signed up for Upwork about 6 months ago.
My field is music production and composing. I've been working on another freelance platform for 3 years. I also worked in a very distinguished media music production company as a media music composer for a year in my country.

Especially lately, I've increased the frequency of my job applications, which is causing me to spend a lot of connects. I believe my job applications and portfolios that I present to clients are quite sufficient. However only 3-4 of my applications were viewed and 2 people got back to me. One of them was a scam. He tried to sell me sample packs through fake websites. And the other one asked me to do the work without starting the process of job in Upwork. He asked it only through message box. That is it.

So I haven't been able to communicate with any valuable employers even once.

If this topic has been discussed before, I apologize. I wanted to take a look at the forums for the first time.

Could there be something wrong with what I'm doing? Do I have to spend connects on things like the availability badge to get my applications viewed? Or maybe when I apply clients don't see me at all because they filter the applications? Because my profile has never been evaluated or I have never done any work.

I regularly check 'find work' page. It's been months. 

I try to apply to jobs that are in my field and have examples I can show from my portfolio. However no matter how good my portfolio is or how well written my application is, it doesn't mean anything if the client doesn't see it.

I'm starting to get tired of this and I'm considering not coming back to this platform anymore. I don't want to write content that portrays a sense of victimization here.
If there's something I'm missing, I'd appreciate it if you could inform me, especially if I can get feedback from people working in my field.

Regards

Cagri C

5 REPLIES 5
pudingstudio
Community Member

wrote:

Hello everyone;

I signed up for Upwork about 6 months ago.
My field is music production and composing. I've been working on another freelance platform for 3 years. I also worked in a very distinguished media music production company as a media music composer for a year in my country.

Especially lately, I've increased the frequency of my job applications, which is causing me to spend a lot of connects. I believe my job applications and portfolios that I present to clients are quite sufficient. However only 3-4 of my applications were viewed and 2 people got back to me. One of them was a scam. He tried to sell me sample packs through fake websites. And the other one asked me to do the work without starting the process of job in Upwork. He asked it only through message box. That is it.

So I haven't been able to communicate with any valuable employers even once.

If this topic has been discussed before, I apologize. I wanted to take a look at the forums for the first time.

Could there be something wrong with what I'm doing? Do I have to spend connects on things like the availability badge to get my applications viewed? Or maybe when I apply clients don't see me at all because they filter the applications? Because my profile has never been evaluated or I have never done any work.

I regularly check 'find work' page. It's been months. 

I try to apply to jobs that are in my field and have examples I can show from my portfolio. However no matter how good my portfolio is or how well written my application is, it doesn't mean anything if the client doesn't see it.

I'm starting to get tired of this and I'm considering not coming back to this platform anymore. I don't want to write content that portrays a sense of victimization here.
If there's something I'm missing, I'd appreciate it if you could inform me, especially if I can get feedback from people working in my field.

Regards

Cagri C

It used to be difficult to start on UpWork, yet doable.
SEAMS like nowadays it's amazing if any new freelancer manages to do it.

Couple of freelancers have shared that they found it easy (I assume they aren't lying), huge majority aren't as lucky.

Very expensive time to start up on UpWork, you need to keep applying to the jobs where each proposal is costly.
Additionally, VERY few jobs are worth it.

Some are genuine, but from people whose job is to find "a thing" (in your case an SFX, or a melody, or a song or.....) for their clients - they post a bunch of jobs which most often end up in a ditch of forgotten job posts.
Some are scams.
Some are from clients who are "just wondering".
Some are just perfect for you.

Maybe someone else will chime in with a more positive message.
Keep sending proposals for the jobs you know/assume you're good fit for. Ideally, jobs will come and it will became MUCH easier.

miriam-ocampo
Community Member

When the platform wasn't so expensive and not full of scammers it took like 3-4 months to get your first job. To be honest now I'm not sure how long would it take these days (not familiar with your field of work), but even freelancers that have been here a long time have been struggling. Sorry, but that's the truth, there are fewer jobs now and half of them are scams because anyone can join the platform (before you needed to pass a few tests to join). 

hiram-kamau
Community Member

Things surely changed -- in my field of work (software development), for instance I used to get 3 to 4 good jobs weekly. Nowadays, I'd be lucky to get one good job every 3 months. And, I've been hear for years. So, yeah, it's pretty dicey.

celgins
Community Member

You are putting forth a strong-willed effort, but getting attention and winning jobs on Upwork can be a challenge. Your field of expertise (music production and composing) is not as saturated as many others, but competition is still high. Plus, the ratio of freelancers to clients is ridiculous and it gets worse as more freelancers join the platform.

The first thing I suggest is setting your profile to Public. When a profile is Private, clients won't see you when they search for freelancers.

Community Member

Thank you all for your comments, I will consider them all.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members